You Make My Heart Go Wild

Nico braved himself before he pushed open the doors of the doctor's clinic. He took a few steps in and gained the attention of the receptionist. The old lady smiled at him and Nico tried his best to smile back, though it probably came out more as a grimace. Oh well. He was only here for a check up after all and not to mention, he was sleep-deprived.

Nico signed his name on the clipboard placed on the counter in between him and the receptionist. He scanned the waiting area for a place to sit and was met with the sight of a few patients scattered around. The sound of coughing, sniffling, and muffled groaning reached his ears. Great. Nico sighed and plopped down on the nearest seat. This was going to take a while.

He tried scrolling mindlessly through his phone to pass the time but he got distracted anyways, what with his ADHD. In the end, he decided to people-watch.

There weren't any other patients who were of his age. As expected, most of the people were middle-aged men and women, all of them housing a range of sickness on their faces. Some were older and were probably accompanied by their grown up children for a check up. It didn't surprise Nico though because who would spend their Friday nights in the doctor's office for fun?

He gave each and every one of them background stories and tried to accurately guess what their lives were like, even though he most likely wouldn't get a confirmation.

He watched as one by one, each patient was called up to receive their routine examination before actually seeing the doctor. The nurse that was calling people in look tired, with dark circles under her eyes. She probably worked all day since the morning and mostly everyday of the week. Nico felt a pang of sympathy as working long hours were definitely not easy.

Soon enough, everyone that was waiting before Nico had all been treated and diagnosed. There had been one or two more walk-ins after Nico, but other than that, nothing interesting had happened. Nico almost dozed off.

"Nico di Angelo?"

Nico perked up at that. That wasn't the female nurse's voice. He looked up and made eye contact with two blue eyes. Like, really blue. Since Nico didn't have his usual filter on, he not-so-discreetly checked out the new nurse. He was definitely younger than most of the employees. His blonde, curly hair looked messy but in a put-together sort of way. Tan skin, lean build, tall. He was like the embodiment of the typical "surfer dude." But in blue scrubs. Coincidentally, the blue scrubs made the guy's blue eyes pop even more.

Finally, Nico's eyes raked back up to the guy's face and once again, made eye contact. He quickly looked away but not before catching a glimpse of the smile forming on the other person's face. Nico felt his cheeks warm. Oh gods.

Said person cleared his throat and repeated Nico's name. Nico blinked. What seemed like an eternity was actually only a few seconds.

Nico got up and followed the man through a door, his face still pink.

"So, um, where did the other nurse go?" Nico asked.

"Oh, Mary? It's her lunch break so I'm subbing in for her. Usually I'm filing stuff in another room or cleaning up the equipment and stuff."

Nico nodded as the man led him to an examination room of sorts. Nico also tried to keep his eyes off the nurse in front of him.

(He failed.)

The man gestured to a chair and Nico sat down. He watched the nurse's back as he rummaged around for something in a cabinet. Nico's mind was still hazy and the way the nurse's back muscles tightened every time he moved his arms was practically mesmerizing to Nico.