Classic

(inspired by the pic above - credit: musicofthenightphantomoftheopera on tumblr)

Nico set up his shiny black keyboard on the stand. He plugged it into a speaker and quickly did a warm-up. His fingers flew over the keys, playing a random tune before abruptly changing into another song. His bandmates were also warming up and he snickered when he saw Percy steal one of Jason's drumsticks. Jason then started looking for it frantically before glancing over at Percy and threatening to break his precious electric guitar. Nico heard Percy scoff and say "You wouldn't" but he gave up the drumstick anyways. Hazel was strumming her bass guitar lightly while making conversation with Frank, her boyfriend. Occasionally she would look over at Nico with an excited gleam in her eyes but Nico shrugged it off. Lastly, Piper, their lead singer, was finished plugging in her microphone and was now busy going over some last minute things with Leo, their tech guy. The two were also sending Nico weird, mischievous looks.

Nico was about to ask why everyone was looking at him funny when Piper leaned into microphone and introduced the band. Already, there was a crowd around them. They were fairly popular in this area and they played at this particular park every week if they didn't have any other gigs. Nico spotted his boyfriend, Will, in the crowd and waved, though Nico was confused. Wasn't he supposed to be at the dance studio? Before Nico could ask why Will was there, the first few beats of their first song were being played so Nico pushed his thoughts into the back of his head and let himself get lost in the music. He let himself smile and his muscle memory kicked in and he didn't even have to think about what keys should be played. He loved this rush, this feeling of ecstasy.

Suddenly, the music was cut off and it snapped Nico out of his trance. Nico looked up, confused. Were the speakers not working? He looked at the rest of the band and saw that they were all packing up their instruments, all of them looking at Nico reassuringly. Then Will, along with Annabeth and Reyna, their other dance friends, came out of the crowd and walked into middle of the area. Piper handed Will her microphone and scurried away. Will stared right into Nico's eyes and said, "I would like to dedicate this dance to my amazing boyfriend, Nico." Will gestured to Nico, who was still stuck behind his keyboard, shocked.

Will put the microphone down and pointed to Leo, who had his phone plugged into the speakers. Will yelled, "Hit it!" and the opening beat of a song started booming through the speakers.

Hey, where's the drums?
Ooh, girl, you're shining
Like a Fifth Avenue diamond
And they don't make you like they used to
You're never going out of style

Will launched into a series of moves, his arms and legs moving smoothly but in time with each beat of the song. He did a spin and shifted from foot to foot, earning him cheers from the crowd of onlookers. Behind him were Annabeth and Reyna doing the same moves and smiling at Nico.

Ooh, pretty baby
This world might've gone crazy
The way you saved me
Who could blame me
When I just wanna make you smile

The trio crouched down and spun up again onto their feet. Will smirked at Nico and did a body roll, his hands behind his head. Nico blushed but continued to watch with rapt attention, his head bobbing along to the beat.

I wanna thrill you like Michael
I wanna kiss you like Prince
Let's get it on like Marvin Gaye, like Hathaway
Write a song for you like this

Will started dancing towards Nico, his feet moving in time with the beat of the song. His limbs were jutting in and out but always returning to smooth and fluid movements.

You're over my head, I'm outta my mind
Thinking I was born in the wrong time
One of kind, living in world gone plastic
Baby, you're so classic

Will was standing very close to Nico now, the keyboard being the only obstacle between them. Will looked at Nico with loving eyes before taking his hand and leading him away from behind the keyboard. He spun Nico around once and Nico laughed out of happiness. Will put his other hand over his heart and sang the last few lines. Right as the song ended, the audience erupted into cheers. Annabeth and Reyna quickly gave Nico pats on the back and said "It's not over yet" before hurrying away to join Nico's bandmates in the mass of people.

Nico looked at Will, who had a twinkle in his eye and Nico's heart involuntarily fluttered. Will let go of Nico's hand before dropping down to a knee. Nico gasped as his friends let out loud whoops and whistles. Will took out a ring box and opened it up to reveal a single gold band.

"Nico, you are literally the grumpiest, most sarcastic person I know. You make snarky remarks and you are so, so stubborn and might I add, a huge bed hog." Nico was tearing up but he took the time to roll his eyes and swat Will's shoulder playfully. Will chuckled before continuing. "You are also the strongest, bravest person I have ever met. You've endured so much and you have more willpower in your pinky than most other people have in their entire bodies. That is one out of the many, many things I admire about you. That and your abs." Nico was full on crying happy tears now but he still managed to hit Will's shoulder again. Will let out a shaky laugh. "What I'm trying to say, basically, is that I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So, will you marry—" Will was cut off by Nico tackling him with a hug.

"Yes, yes, yes! I'll marry you!" Nico exclaimed.

Again, the crowd burst into cheers, this time with more enthusiasm and energy. All of Nico and Will's friends formed a smaller circle around the pair and congratulated them. Will's eyes were filled with so much happiness, he seemed like he was going to burst. Nico adorned probably the biggest smile he could muster up and it sent Will's already pounding heart over the edge. Without any hesitation, Will cupped Nico's cheeks and pulled him close so that they were kissing. Everyone cheered and clapped while Nico and Will smiled against each other's lips. They broke away breathless and with their foreheads resting against each other's. Nico stared into Will's blue eyes and Will gazed into Nico's brown ones.

"I love you so much," Will said.

"I know," Nico said smugly. Now it was Will's turn to smack Nico in the shoulder.

"Fine, fine," Nico laughed. "I love you too."

"Good" was all Will said before he pulled Nico in for another kiss.

-----

A/n: Sorry for butchering the dance part. Even though I practically live and breathe dance AUs, I cannot for the life of me write the actual dancing part lol. The song is "Classic" by MKTO and dam, it is still catchy af even if it is pretty old. Go give it a listen! Also, here's the link to the video I used that I loosely based Will's dance moves off of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0xA4pyjfI

Hope you guys liked this one!

-Victoria :)