Chapter 38 ~ Epilogue

5 years later….

“So why should we give you this position Ms. Campell?” The white woman behind the desk asked me as I was being interviewed to become a student counselor at Kingston High School. After the things that happened 5 years ago, I moved from New Jersey ASAP and went to Clark Atlanta. I made many friends that I am close to as of this day, especially Charisma and Trey. They were literally the closest people I was around at CAU…until they graduated but that didn’t stop us from talking.

“Well Mrs. Wilson, I am a recent graduate from Clark Atlanta University, I am close to these students’ ages so I can relate to most of them. I have been through almost every single problem known to man but that hasn’t stopped me from being who I am today. I think you should give me this job- no scratch that I know you should give me this job because I am exactly what you’re looking for. I know I can help these student’s more than any other counselor had and will ever. I want to be the youngest teacher here and the oldest teacher in the future. I want to change lives and I believe it will start by helping the students that is going to make a difference in the future” She nodded and wrote something down in her notes.

“Okay, Thank you Ms. Campell, that’ll be all, we will call you in a couple of days to let you know our answer” I gave her a small smile feeling defeated.

“Thank you so much” I shook her hand and walked out of the office. I walked out of her office and signed out of the school.  As I was walking down the hallway I heard a deep voice yelling. Instead of walking out of the school, I made  a detour and saw a girl crouched down on the floor crying as the boy paced the floor around her.

“Felicia, get rid of that baby, im not fucking playing, you know who I am and I will not hesitate to beat that baby out of you” He screamed hitting the wall behind her.

“Im keeping this baby Hakeem, I don’t care what you say”

“Bitch-“

“Excuse me” I yelled as he grabbed her. He looked at me, then back at the girl. He threw her on the ground and began to walk away. “Fuck niggas” I mumbled under my breath. IU wasn’t a teacher yet so I didn’t have to watch my mouth. “Are you okay?” I asked crouching in front of the girl. She wiped her tears and stood up. I followed her motion and she crossed her arms in front of her chest and mugged me.

“Im good, Ion’t know why you helped me, I was good” I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

“And Ion’t know why you just can’t be happy I helped you. I could’ve left yo ass here to get beat and minded my business but I didn’t. Be happy someone is here for you instead of pushing me away cause trust hon, I pushed everyone away from me and since then I have been through so much bullshit and im still tryna get over it so therefore just say ‘thank you’ and go talk to someone before that little nigga try to hurt you”

“I didn’t ask for a fuckin reality check. Im good, I had no one and now you, some random bitch, come up and become captain save a hoe. I don’t care what you been through cause it aint shit compared to me so you can go on with that bullshit” I eyes this little smart ass girl.