My Girl;Prologue

~Prologue~

"Mom, why do we have to move?" Jess asked her mother for the billionth time.

"Because your father has been relocated to Sydney and that's where we have to move," was how she continued to reply, irritated with the fact that Jess couldn't just accept that.

"Besides, you'll make new friends." she huffed, knowing that would be her daughter's next repeated statement.

Jess looked at the ground in despair and her mother walked over to her putting both hands on her daughter's shoulders.

"It's okay, it'll be okay. I promise." she said, rubbing Jess's back as she gave a motherly peck on to her forehead.

"But Mom... Do you know how hard it is for a 13 year old to make friends at the end of the school year? Really hard... Mom, they're gonna think I'm that weird girl that doesn't have an accent and is always moving." Jess said to her mother harshly, immediately regretting the tone she had used.

"Sorry," Jess apologized quietly. "I'm just really upset... this is the longest we've ever stayed and I really love all the friends I've made." She continued honestly.

"Honey, it'll be okay! You're going to make great friends! I promise." she said still holding Jess's shoulders while Jess looked around her old room. It was completely empty except for a few boxes they hadn't put in the car yet.

"I promise." Quietly replayed in Jess's head as she left the room. Jess let out a sigh and grabbed the last few remaining boxes and followed her mother out to the car.

"This is gonna be a long trip." She quietly spoke as she slowly shut the door to her old bed room.

-

The drive to the airport was long and quiet for the most part, as Jess had anticipated.

She stayed quiet and listened to music for almost the whole drive.

She was in the middle of a song by Paramore when she felt her mom place a hand over her knee, causing Jess to look up to see her mum twisted in the front passenger seat to face her daughter.

"What?" I said pulling out one earbud.

She sighed and then turned back around to her original position, facing the windshield. Jess rolled her eyes and put the earbud back to its original position as well.

The rest of the car ride consisted of songs by MCR, Queen, Blink182, and The Beatles; Jess was proud to say that she had adapted a pretty good taste in music from her father.

They arrived at the airport and got their tickets.

'Hopefully this trip won't be as excruciatingly awkward like the drive.' Jess thought to herself.

She hoped sleeping would help, because that's what she planned to do. They boarded the plane and Jess was on her way to catching some Z's.

-

"Done!" Jess's mom said enthusiastically.

They finished packing the day they got there....

'That's how you know you've moved too much.' Jess thought as she explored her new home.

"Dad?" She called down the hall of her new place.

Her father would be leaving in a couple of hours, and Jess wanted to spend some time with him for a little while.

"In here darling." He replied.