Chapter 14

Deans POV
I wake up in the morning to clanging sounds coming from downstairs. Groaning I open my eyes, rolling over so I'm facing Castiel. His eyes are still closed in peaceful sleep and I smile softly to myself, watching him sleep. I remember I didn't take my pills last night when my shoulder begins to throb and my knee aches. I get out of the bed as quietly as I can, not wanting to wake Cas and shuffle over to the door. I walk to the bathroom and turn on the water, checking the temperature before stripping out of my clothes and hopping in.
The hot water cascades down my back and I lose myself in my thoughts and the soothing steam rising from the water, probably coating the mirror. I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner and lazily wash my body, removing the sweat and grime. Shutting off the water I slip back into my clothes and towel dry my hair, I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen. I find Bobby at the stove again, this time making French toast for our visitors.
"Good morning Dean," Anna greets when she notices me walk in.
I nod at her putting a soft smile on my face. Bobby glances over his shoulder at me and plops another French toast into a plate. He puts it on the counter.
"Dean, can I speak to you in the other room?" Bobby asks already walking into the living room. I follow silently behind him. I know he's probably a bit upset that he had visitors he didn't know he had, I was hoping to tell him before everyone else got up.
"Look Bobby they showed up unexpectedly, I think something bad happened but I don't know what yet. They needed a place to spend the night, I couldn't just send them away," I explain before Bobby can scold me.
He simply crosses his arms and gives me a pointed look.
"Boy, I happened to ask them just why they were here so I know their story. You've gotten yourself mixed up into something complicated, I just want you to be careful," Bobby finally says.
"Don't worry about me Bobby, I'll be fine," I say, mildly confused.
What had Bobby found out? What was so bad they had to leave home? I think I myself. I decide to wake up Cas and ask him myself instead of asking Anna or Gabriel. Treading back up the stairs I hear the shower running, checking in my room I find Cas gone. I wait outside the bathroom door, leaning against the wall, it isn't long before the shower shuts off and the door opens revealing a fully clothed Castiel, his hair a wet mop. He jumps when he sees me and I can't help but laugh at him.
"Jeez Dean, you could've given me a heart attack," Cas says his hands still clutched to his chest.
"Cas we've gotta talk about last night," I say when I catch my breath.
"You're the one who initiated the...activity we participated in Dean," Cas says, his cheeks heating up.
"Not about that," I say, once again laughing at him, "though we can if you want." I wink.
His face deepens in color and I think if he turns any redder he'll be a tomato.

Castiels POV
Dean leads me back to his room for our conversation. I've been dreading it since last night, knowing I would have to tell him all that had happened to make us leave. Sitting on the edge of his bed Dean pats the spot next to him. I sigh and sit down, leaning into him. I don't want to tell him about my past, what led up to all of us leaving, why Anna finally took us away. But I know he has the right to know.
"Cas?" Dean asks.
"Give me sec," I say, trying to gather my thoughts. He nudges me after a few more minutes of silence.
"Dean when I was young I found out I was attracted to guys. I didn't know that it was supposed to be wrong, I thought it was just as normal as liking a girl. However my father and brothers told me it was wrong. My father started to drink very heavily when I was around 5 or 6, my mom had died and he didn't want to live, he ended up not being able to support us so instead he left us. Michael and Anna got jobs to support Gabe and I, Lucifer helped after a while but stopped because he got addicted to drugs. Mainly it was just Michael and Anna looking out for us, but when Michael found out I was gay he...he didn't approve. He still doesn't. He never hit me or anything, he's not like that, but he gave verbal abuse. Telling me I wasn't his brother, I'm a sinner, I'm sick and need to be fixed," I say, stopping for air.
"Cas-" Dean says slipping his arm around me.
"Please, don't I need to finish. Anna and Gabriel accepted me, didn't think of me any different. Anna always made sure Gabe and I didn't get hurt, made sure to always try and protect me from Michaels harsh words. Lucifer always stopped by frequently asking for money, always coming by so he could buy drugs. Michael usually gave it to him, he is after all family. Then a few weeks ago, Michael told Lucifer no. He started yelling, then somehow turned the conversation to me, saying that now he was stopping Lucifer from trying to sin but wasn't doing anything to stop me. Lucifer put me in the closet and punched me, as punishment, that's why I had the bruise on my face. After that I guess they talked and Michael decided I should stay with Lucifer, that he was going to 'help' me get over my sickness," I take a deep breath before continuing, "so I stayed at Lucifers until the incident with his friend. I then came here as you know and then left. Well those 4 days I was gone he just locked me in a room, Michael came by and asked me if I was 'cured', I told him no. He began to get angry then Anna came in. She took me out to the car where Gabriel was, she was yelling at Michael. I couldn't hear what she was saying but she got in the car and we left. She didn't want to do that, she never did. She always tries to hold the family together since we're all we have. Leaving is hard on her, I can tell but she had to do it. Dean, I don't know what we're going to do, we don't have anywhere to go, any money, nothing really."
He's quiet for a moment, letting everything sink in.
"You have me Cas," he says, squeezing me tightly.
"Dean, will you tell me what happened?" I quietly ask him.
He sighs loudly and squeezes me again. I lean up and kiss his jaw.
"You don't have to," I mumble.
"No Cas, you should know, after what you've just told me you should know. I just don't know how to explain it all," Dean sighs, his eyes closed.
"It started when I was young, my mom died in a fire and my dad couldn't take her death. He started drinking to take his pain away, at first we traveled a lot until we stopped here. He put Sammy and I in school and looked out for us. It wasn't until I was 14 he started to hit me," Dean pauses shaking his head, "I didn't stop him, couldn't really. I protected Sammy from him, made sure never to leave Sam alone with him. Bobby and Ellen watched over us for a while but my father took us back again. I finally told them not to come and get us anymore when I was 16 because I knew that they couldn't protect me forever and I had to protect Sam. I put up with the abuse, he was too drunk to remember what he did. But he'd always shout at me, call me fag or something. This was before I started to have feelings for you Cas, somehow he knew though. But a few days ago when I went home...Sam was in the house and my father was home. I heard Sam scream, I ran in as fast as I could. I saw Sammy in the ground and my dad above him. I tackled him to the ground, shouting at Sam to go," he stops again, running his hand down his face, "he got angry. The alcohol was controlling him and he wouldn't stop. He twisted my arm, popping my shoulder out of place, then my knee. Sam came back and knocked him over the head, brought us to Bobby's and we've been staying here."
I hug Dean tightly, running my hand soothingly up and down his back.
"Why would they do those things to us Cas? We're family, they should look out for us, not hurt us," Dean whimpers into my shoulder.
"I don't know Dean. They just don't understand," I say, "how about we go downstairs for breakfast? Huh? Won't that be nice?"
"I'm not a child Cas," Dean chuckles lightly, his shoulders shaking. We get to our feet and descend the stairs into the kitchen.