Chapter 3

Castiels POV
When the bell rings signaling schools out I gather my papers and stuff them into my bag. I'm nervous as hell about Dean and his brother coming to my house, hoping Michael won't be home or at the very least wont say anything until they leave. At the same time though I'm excited, I'll get to be with Dean my ultimate crush that I can never seem to get off my mind, and now he'll be coming to my house.
"Ready?" Dean asks slinging his bag over his shoulder and walking towards the door.
"Yea," I say following his actions and trail behind him as we make our way to the parking lot.
"Sorry, we got to wait for my brother," Dean explains when we arrive at his car and Sam is no where to be seen.
"It's fine," I say giving him a nervous smile, but it disappears when I see Crowley. He looks over at me, his gaze sliding between Dean and I, he continues towards his own car but gives me a suggestive wink.
I visibly shudder and turn away from him as Dean shouts to Sam.
"What took you so long?" Dean asks clapping his younger brother on the shoulder.
"Sorry, I was talking to Jess," Sam says a small blush creeping onto his cheeks, "who's this?"
"That's Castiel, he's my history partner. You don't mind coming to his house while we work on our project do you Sammy?" Dean says looking almost pleadingly at Sam.
"I don't mind, you got any siblings my age?" Sam asks turning his attention towards me.
"Yes, a younger brother Gabriel, he's a little...annoying at times but you may like him," I say shrugging my shoulders.
"Alright, lets go. Cas you can sit up front to give me directions, Sammy backseat," Dean orders climbing into the car.

I give Dean quiet directions to my house as he hums along to ACDC, the music flooding out the car windows. I don't mind, I don't get to listen to this type of music very often so it's a nice change from listening to church hyms on the radio at our house. When we pull in front of my house Dean whistles under his breath.
"Damn," he says taking the keys out of the car, "you didn't say you guys were rich."
"Well, we aren't really rich. It was more left to us," I say walking to the front door. I see Michaels car in the driveway and I hope to god he's not going to jump to conclusions about Dean being here.

Deans POV
Pulling up to Castiels house made me whistle in surprise. He didn't seem like a poor kid but I'd never expected this. Jesus the guy lived in a mansion for Christ sake.
"Damn, you didn't say you guys were rich," I say getting out of the car, admiring the white house.
"Well, we aren't really rich, it was more left to us," Cas says a hint of sadness leaking in his voice.
I don't question him on it and instead gesture for Sam to follow along behind Castiel. I feel as if I don't belong here already, like his family is going to disapprove of my presence in their home.
That's ridiculous, I think to myself, why would they care what I looked like? Why do I care if they like me?
Castiel turns the doorknob and walks into the house, I follow after him Sam on my heels.
Great, even the floor is rich boy material, cleaned so well I can see my face marble is what his floor is made of. I grimace as I step on it afraid that I may some how taint its worth.
"Nice place you got here Cas," I say filling the silence between us.
"Thanks, um I can find Gabriel for you if you want Sam?" Castiel asks nervous, it seems to be in his own home.
"Sure, that'd be great," Sam pipes up beside me.
When Castiel leaves to find his brother Sam and I stand awestruck in his front doorway. I don't dare walk further inside until he comes back, I don't know this place or him very well. I can tell Sam feels as uncomfortable as I do as he shifts from foot to foot waiting for Cas to come back.
Just when I think I'm about to explode with impatience a boy around Sams age comes flying around the corner, Castiel following behind him.
"Gabe, this is Sam and Dean, Sam and Dean this is Gabriel," Cas says introducing us.
"Hey," both Sam and I say in usion.
"You like pranks?" I hear Gabriel ask Sam as he gets dragged off to who knows where.
"So," I say awkwardly.
"We can work on the project in my room, I should have the supplies we need to work on it," Castiel says making his way towards the stairs.
"And if you don't I could drive to the store and pick us up what we need," I offer.
"Sounds great," Cas says leading me down a short hallway where he enters the last door on the right.
When I enter in after him I'm surprised to see that he doesn't have much in his own room. It looks as if he barely stays in here, besides the rumpled bed and hamper full of dirty clothes. I nod appreciatively though as I sit on the edge of his bed.
"So how do you want to start?" Cas says eyeing my on his bed.
"Well, seeing as I'm already in your room Cas, I'd say we'd already started," I jokingly say shooting him a wink. Though I don't understand the tingly feeling I get when a blush makes his cheeks go red.
"I-I meant the project," Cas stutters stepping back and hitting his desk.
"I know Cas," I chuckle, "I'm just messing with you."
"Oh, okay then. Um we could start by deciding what to paint then I guess," Cas says dismissing the awkward tension that had appeared.
"Yea, that's a good idea," I say sighing deeply. I have no ideas as to what we should paint for our project, I'm amazed that we'd come up with our plan as far as we have already.
"Well most of the artists paintings that we've been studying have had to deal with what they believed in. Like if they believed they were on the British's side during the civil war, they painted British themed paintings, by adding in British army forces, the British flag, anything they could think of that would relate to their belief. So we could probably do a painting of what we believe in? Either combining our beliefs or finding one that we share?" Cas suggests, putting things back in their place on his desk.
"That sounds pretty cool actually," I say laying back on Cas' bed, looking at his ceiling. I notice those glow in the dark stars and planets that you can stick anywhere are along his whole ceiling and smile. Amazed that he put detail in to where they were placed according to where they were really found in the sky.
Castiel clears his throat and I direct my gaze back to him.
"So Dean, what do you believe in?" Cas asks picking at his fingernails.
That's a tough question for me to answer, I don't know what to believe in. I don't know if there is really a god out there and if there is, then why does he let bad things happen in the world? If he has the power to stop evil from occurring than why not stop it? Why let it continue and ruin people's lives?
I shrug my shoulders at Cas, giving him my answer without words.
"What do you believe in Cas?"

Castiels POV
Dean evades my question simply by not answering, which makes my project idea slightly harder. He gives a slight shrug and instead asks,
"What do you believe in Cas?"
My heart flutters when he calls me Cas but I ignore it so I can answer him.
"Well, my parents were big on going to church and my siblings still are. We all have our names relating back to the bible, with all the angels and god, so I guess I'd have to say that I believe that god is somewhere, sending out angles to watch over us," I say giving Dean a some what truthful answer.
I don't know what to believe anymore, I get so many things told to me by my siblings that I've started losing track of what I believe in and what they want me to believe in. I've decided to just listen to what they suggest I should believe in and leave it at that. I go to church with them, I pray when needed, and I try my best to have faith for them, faith that they will come to accept who I am and all my choices.
"Well, no offense Cas, but I find that a load of crap. How can you believe God has angels watching over us when all these bad things happen in the world? Bad things still happen to good people and you have the audacity to say that Gods 'angels' are looking out for us?" Dean says disgust and anger evident in his voice.
"You don't?" I ask him.
"No. I believe that if there really is a god out there he would have stopped evil from happening, he wouldn't let people get away with hurting the innocent. And if he is out there doing nothing, than I sure as hell am not going to believe that he is doing the best for us and having angels look out for us," Dean spits out.
"Well, then what do you believe?" I ask him again.
"I believe that the innocent shouldn't be hurt by the evil. That they should be punished for even touching someone so pure and trying to corrupt them. Hunting down evil is what I believe in, stopping bad things from hurting people, that's what I believe in," Dean says, a strong anger cloaked in his eyes.
I nod my head in understanding. I know what if feels like to question god, if he is watching over us why let bad things happen? What good could possibly come from having a father abandon you and never knowing about your own mother? What good could god possibly have stored for us by leaving us with no one to look for in times of trouble?
"Sorry for bashing on your beliefs Cas. I was just trying to be honest and it came out a little harsh," Dean speaks quietly.
"No, it's fine," I say in almost a whisper.
"So uh how we going to put our beliefs into a painting?" Dean asks trying to ease the awkward tension.
Yet another good question that we have to figure out.

After almost two hours we have accomplished nothing. Dean probably would've left an hour ago but Sam had convinced him to stay, wanting to hang out with Gabriel a bit longer. I'm glad that they hit it off, Gabe has been a little lonely for a while now and I'm glad that Sam is becoming his friend. I can only hope the same happens for Dean and I, hope that even after the project is done he will still talk to me. When Sam has finally called it quits and is ready to go home I'm a little sad to say goodbye, but I know we will work on the project again tomorrow.
"So your house next time?" I ask Dean as he walks through the front door.
"Yea, but I gotta warn you, it's not as nice as your place," Dean says flashing me a playful smile.
"Don't worry, I don't judge people based on appearance," I say and wave goodbye to Sam and Dean before closing the door.
As soon as it clicks in place I hear a dreaded voice.