☯bonus☯

☞ october 15th 2031☜

It was the morning of Mariah's eighteenth birthday. She had never been more excited because Jacob promised her two surprises. She had guesses to what they could be, but wasn't completely sure what they were. But today was the day, and she was beyond anxious.

She had woken up from her long slumber, the sun beating down on her through the open window. It was a nice crispy morning, the air full with moisture. She was tucked under her covers listening to the busy streets outside. She had come to love the cars honking and the people living their lives, so early in the morning.

She arose and threw her covers to the side, racing to get her camera. She stood by the window and snapped priceless moments, like a mother and her two children walking down the street. Or a bird flying close enough to her window. She did this routinely every morning, every morning before school. It was sad that she had to go today, but she was too happy to even mind.

"Knock knock."

Mariah turned from her window, looking at Jacob's frame in the doorway. He had a smile on his face.

"Morning dad." Mariah said, snapping his picture. He groaned, thinking the picture wouldn't look too good, because he had just woken up.

"Good morning, birthday girl." He went over and hugged her, kissing her forehead.

"Yes, tis my birthday! And what doth thou have planned?" Mariah asked, gaining a hearty chuckle from Mr. Perez.

"Pancakes before school. Hurry and get dressed so we can eat." He spoke, making Mariah jump out his hold and race to get her things ready for her shower. He left her room and headed back into his own, where Angela laid in the bed. She was awake, just too tired from last night to get up.

"Morning gorgeous." He complimented her, pushing her hair out of her face. She smiled and he kissed her lips.

"Good morning."

"Get dressed, Mariah's probably downstairs already."

She nodded and he walked into the bathroom, to get dressed for the day. Angela sat up in bed and followed after him, ready for her morning shower. Meanwhile, Mariah got downstairs to be greeted happily by Marcelena. She engulfed the legal adult into a tight hug, rocking them both side to side.

"Oh, feliz cumpleaños niña! Happy birthday Mariah, you're finally legal!" She said after releasing Mariah. Mariah smiled at her, before taking a seat at the counter.

"I know, I'm so excited. Dad says he has two surprises for me, and I can't wait to see them."

"Aye, I already know one of them."

Mariah leaned in and listened intently.

"Really? What is it?!"

Marcelena sucked her teeth and placed her fists on her hips.

"What do I look like, telling you what tus padre got you for your birthday?"

"Like someone who is trying to help a sistah out."

"Very funny, but no. I'm not going to tell you, you'll just have to wait and see. Now, go tell those two to hurry up, before your pancakes get cold and they're late for work."

Mariah nodded, laughing to herself. She thought Marcelena to be like, her mom and Angela her second. She admired the wisdom that Marcelena had and how loco she could be. Mariah climbed the stairs and knocked on her adoptive parents bedroom door. Jacob answered, informing Mariah he was coming down and Angela would soon follow.