Shadowing

*March 17th 2029*

Once again, I was up before Mr. Perez. My dream last night had me in a daze again, but this time I wasn't trying to hurt myself again. Mr. Perez said I was only walking around, occasionally shrieking. I had written it down in my notebook, trying to piece everything together. In it, the identity of the man in white was finally revealed, to be my father. I'm currently in a state of shock. How is he in my dreams, does this mean he's alive?

"C'mon Mariah, eat breakfast and let's go."

"I-I-I'm re-rea-ready...."

He scanned my face, like he was decoding something.

"Mariah, you have to eat something. Especially at breakfast."

"I-I-I s-ss-saaiid I-I'm f-fi-fine...." I, feeling annoyed. grabbed my bag and threw over my shoulder.

Mr. Perez sighed and grabbed his keys.

"Fine."

We got in the car and drove in silence, like usual. I wasn't paying much attention until we passed my school.

"M-M-Mr. P-P-Perezzz, wh-where ar-re w-we g-go-going?"

"You're not attending that hell hole anymore. I changed your schools. You're going to private school now."

I didn't say anything, as he drove on. The scenery of uptown New York changed. The stores looked more posh and polished. The people had a more sophisticated looking attire, and I felt intimidated. Mr. Perez stopped in front of this vintage looking building. Teens were going in, all wearing uniforms.

"I-it's bi-big...." It was a lot bigger than my old school.

"Today, you're just shadowing, you won't actually start until next month."

I looked at Mr. Perez, while he parked. We both got out and he walked me inside, which had a posh interior. Walking down the long hallway towards the front office, I felt eyes on me. They made my skin itch, but I refused to scratch because I refused to be afraid. We finally arrived and there stood an older looking boy, with I'm assuming to be the principal. She was elderly, with grey hair in the front. Mr. Perez shook the lady's hand and they began talking.

"Mariah, this is Trevor. He'll be your shadow for the day."

I looked at the older boy, noticing his elf-like ears. His brown skin glistened and his smile was bright.

"Hey." Was all he nodded. I tried my hardest not to melt into the floor, his deep voice taking me by surprise.

Mr. Perez and the prinicipal, talked some more, before he waved me goodbye. He informed me he would be picking me up early to go shopping.

"Hey....what's your name again?"

Trevor tapped me on the shoulder, motioning for me to follow him down the hallway.

"M-M-Mariah..." I stuttered. My cheeks turned red when Trevor looked at me sideways. I thought he would begin to make fun of me and antagonize my speech, but he just simply flashed that winning smile.

"You stutter? That's cute."

I didn't know if he was being serious, or mocking me. Whichever it was, it didn't take away the fact he was still gorgeous.

"And how old are you?"

By now, kids were racing past us, going from locker to hallway. Some even hung around the water fountains to talk, others looked my way gushing and smiling at me. They even whispered amongst themselves, making me uncomfortable and nervous. This school was huge, and I could understand if someone were to get lost. Most likely, that would be me.