Getting Back To Me

October 31st 2029

I woke up, having seen the letter laying on my chest. I picked it up and folded it, placing it underneath my pillow. It was probably my hundredth time reading it. I looked ahead at the clock on my dresser, that it was nearing the time for me to get ready for school. Since it was Friday, and Halloween, all upperclassmen got to leave early, which was great. I was thinking about bringing my costume to school since Trevor invited me to his Halloween party.

I rose out of bed and headed towards the bathroom, grabbing all my things. After my early morning shower and hygiene routine, I stepped out and began changing into my uniform. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and smiled. My hair which was wild and long, was braided into Havana twists. The gold hoops I had in, matched the nose ring Jacob let me get. Since I've gotten back, our relationship has really started to turn into father-daughter. He's always there to give me relationship advice or tell me who is and who isn't a real friend. And I love him for that.

Once I was finally dressed, I grabbed my backpack, my camera and cellphone. I left my room, walked into Jacob's and saw him still asleep. I shook my head and made my way over to him, poking his shoulder. At first, he just twitched and made some nasty nasal sound. So I poked him again, and he groaned before actually looking my way.

"...Yes...?" His voice was deep and groggy, as he mumble his response.

"I-I'm le-leaving. B-Bye dad."

I kissed his cheek and he gave me this awkward head hug. He's so lazy...

"...You need some money?"

"N-No, I st-still have some fr-from yes-terday." I laughed. His eyes moved away from me, to the floor and eventually closed.

"...Okay, have a nice day..."

"Y-You too."

I walked out, but not before turning back to him. I smiled at him, shook my head then left. I walked downstairs, feeling my phone vibrate in my pocket. I checked it, seeing it was Trevor. I smiled at the text, as he asked if I was still coming. I quickly replied, before going into the kitchen where I grabbed a Poptart before leaving to make sure I caught the bus. Yes, Jacob and I decided I'd be taking the bus. He was skeptical and it took me three consecutive days to convince him, but once he saw it was one step closer to my independence, he said it was okay. I just wanted to show to everyone, that even though I suffered, I'm still here, I'm still standing. I got two guardian angels watching over me, along with a grande familia who loves me like I was their own. I appreciate all of them.

After getting off the bus, I walked one more block, before stepping onto school propertity. By the time I got to my locker, I had began putting my books away. That's when I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around.

"Morning Troublemaker."

I smiled, devilishly, holding the strap of my bag. Trevor looked down on me, licking his thick lips.

"Tr-Troublemaker?"

"Yup."

"W-Why am I tr-troubkemaker?" I started walking on, with him following. It was our lunch period together.

"Because, you walk on the wild side, which always seems to bring trouble. But that's what I like about you, you don't care what people have to say."

I smiled at his comment, taking his hand in mine. His thumb ran over the ring he gave me.

"You're different, and I like different."

He stopped and kissed me, letting his lips linger on mine for a while. I smiled in the kiss, even after he pulled back. I liked the way his lips fit on mine and how they tasted. He had a warmness about him, that made me love him more and more everyday. There was a tingly feeling that moved from my bottom lip, to my chest, that made my heart flutter. He laughed at my stillness and pulled me into the cafeteria, for our private lunch. We started doing these every Friday, but every other day, we'd sit with our own friends. But whenever our crew wasn't at school, we'd sit with the people who were. We had our own set up, and I liked it.