Chapter 34. Dead end

"True fear is an image, an image that will haunt you where ever you go. Even when you're safe in bed, that image will be there. Hiding in the darkest corner of your room...and your mind.
.
.

Dan drove, keeping his eyes on the road. Yet it seemed as if he wasn't paying attention at all. He seemed distracted with his own thoughts. Every now and then I'd see him mumbling things too himself, too quiet for me to understand. Yet everything was peaceful.... it was calming for once. I took pride in this moment, in this feeling. The feeling that all this was over, for good...or at least, that's what I thought.

Until the worst moment of my entire life happened.

.
.

Blue and red lights began to flash, the alarm ringing loudly from behind us. I looked over at Dan feeling my heart race as police cards began to pile up.

"Shit!" He yelled kicking the petal and speeding intensely which woke up Phil from his nap.

"They know where we are! We're fucked!" Chris spoke running his hand through his hair as he looked through the window, waiting the police cars catch up from behind us. This moment felt fake, as if it was all a nightmare and I was going to wake up soon.

I stayed quiet, staring off into the window in front as I watched the road. I blocked out the voices of people panicking. Phil sniffling, Chris yelling, Dan getting mad as the car was going faster than I could handle.

My brain felt dizzy, everything felt unreal. I eventually snapped out of it. Moving my eyes away from staring off into oblivion and actually noticing the situation.

Dan tried to escape, but realistically I knew the truth. I knew we couldn't keep running. No matter where we went. The same story which just keep happening.

"(Y/n), here...I need you to take this and shoot at their tires." Dan spoke demandingly as he handed me a gun.

I looked at him in desperation, I didn't want to do this anymore. I was done. But if this was my only chance to freedom, then fine. I nodded, looking out the window as bullets began to shoot back and forth. Chris began shooting as well, we only got one tire. Which definitely slowed them down. Yet not down enough.

I ducked my head back into the car as they began shooting back. "Dan, you know there's no way we're getting out of this." I spoke calmly being the only rational one here.

Phil was freaking out in the back seat, crying loudly which carried on the stress a lot more.

"Shut up, (y/n)! We're going to get out of this." He spoke hitting the pedal to go even faster.

I looked over at him, "then what next? We're only escaping just to be found again. I know you don't want it to be over yet...but it's time." I said knowing the truth of the situation.

"NO! It's not over yet!" He spoke with anger and confusion laced in his tone. He was taking heavy breaths, it seemed as if he was going to cry.

"It can't be over yet.." he spoke looking around cautiously, mumbling small phrases to himself.

I put a hand on his arm, "Dan, I don't want-

My mouth began to say until we were interrupted by our tire popping due to a bullet going straight through it. The car flipped over causing all of us to yell as the feeling of agony continued through my veins.

Eventually the car fell and stopped. I knocked my head out so hard, all I could notice was blackness. Blackness as the last thing I saw were police cars parking in front of us. My last piece of vision was a police officer holding a gun in his hand as he approved the crashed vehicle, yet my eyes shut and I couldn't tell what happened after that.