The Unicorn And The Wasp Pt. 5

"Oh, my God."

"Lady Eddison, your child, how old would he be now?" the Doctor asks.

"Forty. He's forty."

"Your child has come home" {Y/N} says.

"Oh, this is poppycock."

"Oh? You said you were taught by the Christian Fathers, meaning you were raised in an orphanage."

"My son. Can it be?"

"You found those thieves, Reverend, and you got angry. A proper, deep anger, for the first time in your life, and it broke the genetic lock. You changed" the Doctor says.

"You realised your inheritance. After all these years, you knew who you were. Oh, and then it all kicks off, because this isn't just a jewel. It's a Vespiform telepathic recorder. It's part of you, your brain, your very essence. And when you activated, so did the Firestone" {Y/N} says.

"It beamed your full identity directly into your mind. And, at the same time, it absorbed the works of Agatha Christie directly from Lady Eddison. It all became part of you. The mechanics of those novels formed a template in your brain. You've killed, in this pattern, because that's what you think the world is. It turns out, we are in the middle of a murder mystery. One of yours, Dame Agatha" the Doctor says.

"Dame?"

"Oh. Sorry, not yet."

"So, he killed them, yes? Definitely?"

"Yes" {Y/N} says.

"Well, this has certainly been a most entertaining evening. Really, you can't believe any of this surely, Lady Edizzon."

"Lady who?" the Doctor asks.

"Lady Edizzzzon."

"Little bit of buzzing there, Vicar."

"Don't make me angry."

"Why? What happens then?" {Y/N} asks.

"Damn it, you humanzz, worshipping your tribal sky godzz. I am so much more. That night, the universe exploded in my mind. I wanted to take what wazz mine. And you, Agatha Christie, with your railway station bookstall romancezz, what'z to stop me killing you?"

"Oh, my dear God. My child."

"What'zz to stop me killing you all?" the Reverend transforms into the wasp.

"Forgive me."

"No, no, Clemency, come back. Keep away. Keep away, my darling."

"No. No more murder. If my imagination made you kill, then my imagination will find a way to stop you, foul creature" Agatha runs out of the room with the Firestone. The Doctor, {Y/N} and Donna follow her.

"Wait, now it's chasing us" Donna says as they run after Agatha, they all run outside and shut the main door. Agatha is driving the car and she hoots the horn. The wasp bursts out through the doors.

"Over here! Come and get me, Reverend."

"Agatha, what are you doing?" the Doctor asks.

"If I started this, Doctor, then I must stop it" Agatha drives off. The wasp hesitates then follows her.

"Come on" the Doctor, {Y/N} and Donna get into another car and give chase.

"You said this is the night Agatha Christie loses her memory" Donna says.

"Time is in flux, Donna. For all we know, this is the night Agatha Christie loses her life and history gets changed" {Y/N} says.

"But where's she going?" Agatha passes a signpost for Silent Pool.

"The lake. She's heading for the lake. What's she doing?" the Doctor asks.

"Here I am, the honey in the trap. Come to me, Vespiform" Agatha says.

"She's controlling it" Donna says.

"Its mind is based on her thought processes. They're linked" {Y/N} says.

"Quite so, {Y/N}. If I die, then this creature might die with me."

"Don't hurt her. You're not meant to be like this. You've got the wrong template in your mind" the Doctor says to the wasp.

"It's not listening to you" Donna says as she takes the Firestone from Agatha and throws it into the lake. The wasp follows it "how do you kill a wasp? Drown it, just like his father."

"Donna, that thing couldn't help itself" the Doctor says.

"Neither could I" the water is bubbling purple.

"Death comes as the end, and justice is served" Agatha says.

"Murder at the Vicar's rage. Needs a bit of work."

"Just one mystery left, Doctor. Who exactly are you and {Y/N}?" suddenly Agatha doubles over in pain.

"Oh, it's the Firestone. It's part of the Vespiform's mind. It's dying and it's connected to Agatha" {Y/N} says as Agatha glows purple for a few moments.

"He let her go. Right at the end, the Vespiform chose to save someone's life" the Doctor says.

"Is she all right, though?" Donna asks.

"Of course. The amnesia. Wiped her mind of everything that happened. The wasp, the murders" {Y/N} says.

"And us. She'll forget about us."

"Yeah, but we've solved another riddle. The mystery of Agatha Christie. And tomorrow morning, her car gets found by the side of a lake. A few days later, she turns up in hotel at Harrogate with no idea of what just happened" the Doctor says.

*Time skip*

Agatha has been delivered to the Harrogate by TARDIS, the Doctor, {Y/N} and Donna watch her walk towards it.

"No one'll ever know" the Doctor says.

"Lady Eddison, the Colonel, and all the staff. What about them?" Donna asks.

"Shameful story. They'd never talk of it. Too British. While the Unicorn does a bunk back to London town. She can never even say she was there" {Y/N} says.

"What happens to Agatha?"

"Oh, great life. Met another man, married again. Saw the world. Wrote and wrote and wrote" the Doctor says.

"She never thought her books were any good, though. And she must have spent all those years wondering" they all walk back into the TARDIS, {Y/N} runs over to the console and pulls up a deck plate.

"The thing is, I don't think she ever quite forgot. Great mind like that, some of the details kept bleeding through. All the stuff her imagination could use. Like, Miss Marple" the Doctor says shutting the doors.

"I should have made her sign a contract."

"And, where is it, where is it, hold on. Here we go" {Y/N} says pulling out an old wooden chest, the Doctor and Donna kneel down next to her "C. That is C for Cybermen, C for Carrionites, and Christie, Agatha. Look at that" she pulls out a 1957 paperback edition of Death in the Clouds with a wasp on the cover.

"She did remember" Donna says.

"Somewhere in the back of her mind, it all lingered. And that's not all. Look at the copyright page" {Y/N} says handing Donna the book.

"Facsimile edition, published in the year five billion!" Donna says.

"People never stop reading them. She is the best-selling novelist of all time" the Doctor says.

"But she never knew" Donna says.

"Well, no one knows how they're going to be remembered. All we can do is hope for the best. Maybe that's what kept her writing. Same thing keeps me and {Y/N} travelling. Onwards?" the Doctor asks.

"Onwards."

---

~Bread 🍞