Chapter 21 - Night Terrors

Louis’ POV                                                                                                                                         Did I mean what I said? No way! Did that make me feel any better? No. Why did I say that? Out of all the possible things in the entire universe, I had to say that. It was a lie of course Ivy was the most amazing dancer I had ever seen, she trumped Danielle (But don’t tell Liam I said that). I just thought that maybe if she thought she was no good she would stop. Evidently that plan back-fired… majorly.

So, because of me and my big, stupid and idiotic mouth here I am sitting in the waiting room with my head in my hands and all the boys trying to make me feel better. It was failing epically. Harry patted my back sympathetically as I sat freaking out about whether or not I would ever be able to see Ivy again.

20 minutes after the boys had been sent out the girls reappeared. I looked up so fast I swear I gave myself whiplash. I small shake of the head from Clare informed me that Ivy did not want to see me, great, just great. “Ivy was really tired so we let her get some sleep. The nurse said we can come back at 9 tomorrow morning” Lydia said quietly.

“Louis?” Alyce pulled me to the side as we all started to file out of the hospital. Niall had his arm around Clare’s waist, Harry and Liam were talking and Lydia was standing as far away from anyone as possible. “Just so you know she’s not mad at you, Ivy I mean. She’s hurt though, but she understands your reasons behind it… weird twisted reasons but she is willing to forgive you. Go see her tomorrow, okay?” she smiled softly then jogged to catch with the others. Tomorrow could not come sooner.

Clare’s POV                                                                                                                      We decided to stay with the boys that night at their hotel; they all were in one room this time. Niall, Harry and Zayn had rooms to themselves this time while Liam and Louis shared. No one said much, it was 2 in the morning so Lydia, Alyce and I all borrowed clothes from the boys to sleep in, the drama of the day finally taking a toll.

Harry gallantly gave up his bed for Alyce who blushed and then disappeared into his room. Liam and Louis went into their room; they both had double beds so Harry was going to sleep with Lou. Zayn offered Lydia his bed; she simply nodded and then went to where he pointed, closing the door without a word. Zayn sighed quietly then went in to bunk with Liam.

“I can sleep on the floor if you want” Niall shifted nervously as we entered his room. It was strange to think that only a couple of hours ago we had made up. So much had happened in that space of time.

“Don’t be silly, I’ve missed you” I said and flopped down on the bed and crawled under the covers. Niall eventually gave in and joined me. I curled up onto my side and rested my head on his chest, listening to the familiar rhythm of his heart. His arms wrapped around me and he kissed the top of my head.

“Me too, I’ve missed you so much. I love you” he whispered into my ear causing me to shiver.

“I love you too” I breathed and then we fell to sleep in each others arms for the first time in months.

Lydia’s POV                                                                                                                          I shut the door and took a deep breath. My resolve finally cracked. My mask finally fell. Tears rolled down my cheeks. Ivy has to be okay, she had to be. I hadn’t cried in 2 years, but as I lay down in Zayn’s bed they just didn’t want to stop. That was how I got to sleep that night, crying and praying with all my heart that Ivy was going to be okay.

Clare’s POV                                                                                                                            I was gently shaken awake by a tearful Niall. “Niall what’s wrong? What happened?” I pleaded. Please not be Ivy, anything but Ivy.

“She died Clare, she’s gone” He choked out. I froze, no, no, no, no! This wasn’t happening she wasn’t dead. No it wasn’t true. Tears burned my eyes as I collapsed into Niall’s arms and sobbed my heart out. It was like someone had shot me in the heart with an acid bullet.

We stumbled out to the living room and I was embraced by a crying Lydia. That’s how we stayed. We cried in each others arms for hours. I ran through all my memories of Ivy in my head and my heart broke when I realized we’d never be able to do anything stupid together again. Niall murmured something about going for a walk before disappearing out the door.

25 minutes later my phone rang. I answered it. “Hello…” I replied in a croaky voice. “I’m sorry to inform you that Niall Horan has just been hit by a car, he died on the scene” the phone clattered to the floor as a new wave of grief washed over me.

I was in hysterics. “Niall! Niall! No, Niall please don’t leave me Niall!” I screamed. Niall was dead, Ivy was dead. The man I loved was dead. I couldn’t handle it, why was everyone leaving me? What did I do to deserve this? No! This couldn’t be happening. How did he get hit? How could he leave me again?

I broke out into a sprint, out the door, down the hotel steps and onto the street. The tears blurred my vision as I tore down through the Brisbane foot traffic. I didn’t look where I was going I just ran, past the university and into the botanical gardens. I still didn’t stop.

I came out the others side, I was in a suburb but I wasn’t sure which one. I tried to wipe my eyes but there was just more tears. I couldn’t call Niall anymore if I was lost. I couldn’t hear any cars so I walked across the road trying to clear my sight.

A car rounded the corner. The horn screamed at me to move, but I froze. It slammed into me and I went flying through the air, one continuous scream of pain, agony and sadness coming from my lips and resonating through the air.

Niall’s POV                                                                                                                           I woke up to violent sobs racking through Clare’s body. I rubbed my eyes sleepily, looking at the clock I saw it had only been an hour since we went to sleep. I stared down at her face. Tears streamed down her cheeks and her teeth were clenched in pain. I started freaking out. “Clare, Clare wake up. Oh my god, Clare!” She wouldn’t wake up. I shook her shoulders but nothing worked.

She continued to cry but after a little bit she started to calm down. I relaxed a bit then she started to scream. “Niall! Niall! No, Niall please don’t leave me Niall!” she thrashed around where she was and continued to cry out my name in pain. I stroked her hair and wrapped my arms around her. “Clare I’m here, I’m not going anywhere. Clare I’m here. I love you” I whispered in her ear.

I knew what she was having now, it was night terror. A nightmare you couldn’t wake up from, it could last for hours on end. I sat up and pulled her onto my lap, she had stopped screaming but continued to cry violently.

Clare seemed to hold her breath and then she let out an ear splitting scream that was so full of pain and agony that it ripped my heart out. Soon I was crying too, knowing I couldn’t help her. That no one could, that we had to just wait it out.

Her scream seemed to last for hours but when it was over her eyes snapped opened and she stumbled out of my arms and collapsed on the floor gasping for breath. I got up slowly not wanting to scare her.

I touched her shoulder and Clare slowly lifted her head and met my gaze. “Clare-bear it was just a dream, I’m here, I’m never leaving” I whispered as I pulled her up into my arms and kissed her forehead. We sat like that for the rest of the night, both of us too scared to sleep.

???’s POV 

I don’t have long, trust me I know that. But I don’t blame him, he is already guilty about it enough as it is and the fact that I’m going before him doesn’t help him either. But I’m okay with it, I’m young, but I’m prepared, I’ve hardly lived but I’m ready. I’m not scared; I stopped being scared a long time ago.