Chapter 16 - [The Only One]

Seliaryn’s head jerked up when he heard the knocking at his door early in the morning. “Come in.” He said. He didn’t say it loudly, but his voice was deep enough for the person outside to hear.

     But to Seliaryn’s surprise, it was a knight from the capital. “Lord Petyr.”

     The knight bowed. “I have urgent news, my Lord.”

     Seliaryn nodded his head as he put on the belt that contained his sword and other weapons.

     “The King is missing.”

     Seliaryn looked at the man. “What?” He hadn’t expected that.

     “Your father, Lord Roviaryn stated that the King was adamant about visiting Amberdyse. Apparently he left yesterday morning but still hasn’t arrived.”

     Seliaryn narrowed his eyes. “The King is completely capable of taking care of himself.” But as he said it, he started to wonder.

     “With The Hidden out hunting for him… do you think it might be possible that…”

     Seliaryn hesitated but then sighed. “What is that man thinking?” He said to himself as he slipped on his boots and left his room.

     Mayor Gryre watched as Alissa paced back and forth in front of his desk. She had been doing that since she had woken up, even before the Mayor had.

     But the Mayor was finally beginning to worry, because he knew his daughter well enough to know that she had something serious to say. “My love.” The Mayor started. “What on earth is bothering you?”

     Alissa finally stopped pacing, but it only lasted for a moment. She opened her mouth to say something, but then sighed and began pacing again.

     The Mayor sighed too. “Alissa.” He started. “If you have something to say, you might as well say it and get it over with.”

     She let out a breath and looked at her father, eyes wide and watering. “Does Meenu have to marry the King?”

     The Mayor was surprised by the question. But he smiled. “We’re trying to stop the marriage, love.”

     “Well you have to try harder!” Alissa said, walking up to the desk. “He is a bad, bad man.”

     The Mayor narrowed his eyes. “Did… something happen?” It was very much like Alissa to feel a strong love for her good friends, especially Meenu… but something about the way she was saying this made the Mayor worry.

     Alissa shook her head. “I promised not to tell… but I can’t keep it to my self, daddy.”

     “Who told you not to tell?”

     Her eyes began to water more. “Meenu.” She let out a breath. “God I wish I could just kill the man!”

     “Alissa!” The Mayor raised his voice. “You cannot speak like that.”

     And now he began to worry more.

     He wondered if he should have known something was wrong when Alissa asked him the night before to send a maid to the Kyrus household to tell them that Meenu was staying over. It should have been strange to him that she wouldn’t even let him see her.

     His heart started to beat faster.

     Had something happened to Meenu?

     But what could have possible happened?