Chapter 8- [Existence of the Evil]

Avaryn looked down at the frozen body of Lady Maryryna with a frown. She had been in this sleep like state for much too long and he could see that her body had grown even more frail and thin than it was before.

     Even in her sleep, the look on her face was distressed... and it hurt Avaryn to think that he was the cause of that.

     The doctors had been working hard to keep her alive. They complained on how hard it was to keep her sleeping body somewhat nourished and well. But nonetheless, they worked hard to care for her.

     His mother worked hard to care for her too.

     Despite knowing the truth now of what she had always known... his mother held no grudges and cared for her all the same.

     But what upset him the most was that in front of him seemed to be the only solution to the problem regarding Seliaryn's disappearance.

     She was the evidence he needed to prove that Seliaryn had jumped to conclusions.

     And even if Avaryn had been the one to kill Roviaryn, she would be enough to convince Seliaryn to come back and push aside his anger.

     Seliaryn could be happy if she woke up.

     And Meenu would be here, safe.

     Avaryn reached out and touched the cold hand of Lady Maryryna and then sighed.

     And suddenly, he felt his sister's presence.

     She walked over and stood next to him.

     They were silent for a moment and he felt her gaze on his face. But when she looked away, she spoke. "She's going to be alright, right?"

     Avaryna's voice was always soft and sweet, but right now, it sounded even softer than usual.

     "I hope so." Avaryn said, "the doctors are doing their best."

     She looked at him again, "you look at her with such sadness," she said, "but when we were younger, Aunty Mary only ever made us smile."

     Avaryn nodded, "she did."

     "I don't think she'll like it if she woke up and saw you looking at her so sadly."

     "She wouldn't."

     Avaryna was quiet for a moment and then grabbed a hold of her brothers' hand. She held it tightly and stood close to him.

     "Do you like it here?" Avaryn suddenly asked, "in the castle?"

     The young girl hesitated, "I don't really mind... I'm happy to be with you, big brother. But mama doesn't like the castle very much anymore so she is unhappy. So that makes me a little unhappy."

     "Yes. She's definitely unhappy."

     "Why?" Avaryna asked, looking at him again, "is it because papa died here?"

     Avaryn nodded.

     "She misses him so much... I see her stare at the moon every night... when I asked her why she liked looking at the moon she said it was because her and papa used to always look at the moon together."

     Avaryn remembered that.

     When he was a child he would always catch the two of them staring at the night sky together before they fell asleep.

     "She says that wherever he is now, she knows he's watching the moon too. So it brings her peace now."

     The young King smiled at that. "Do you think of him often as well?"