Chapter 3 - [Red Knight]

Juna bolted upright from her sleep, beads of sweat dripping from her forehead. It was a nightmare that she had, of course. But her sudden movement woke her husband up too. He groaned, “Juna?”

     She took a couple breaths before she looked at her now awake husband. “It’s okay, Jol. I just had a nightmare.”

     Jol sighed. He sat up and rubbed her shoulder. “Let me get you some water.”

“It’s fine, my love. I’ll go.”

     Normally, Jol would have argued but the day before had been extremely busy and he was too exhausted. “Be careful.”

     Juna kissed her husbands forehead before getting out of their bed and lit a lantern before leaving the room.

     She left their family farm slowly, taking deep breaths.

     A week had passed since she had lost her child during childbirth... For the third time.

     And ever since, the nightmares refused to stop.

     She swallowed back her tears as she approached the well that was just outside the farm. When she reached it, she placed both her hands on the well and leaned forward, taking another couple deep breaths.

     Her hand touched her stomach and for some reason, even touching her belly just made her feel worse.

     It had become obvious that she could never have a child.

     She just had so much difficulty believing that.

     She shook her head, holding back the tears, before tossing the pail into the well and pulling out some fresh water.

     After taking a sip right out of the pail, she set it aside and turned to return to her home.

     But just as she was about to walk, she heard something.

     It was faint, but she heard it.

     Crying.

     Wailing.

     A baby.

     She turned her head and looked in the direction of the woods and stood there frozen for a long time, listening to the crying.

     She stayed long enough for her worried husband to come looking for her. “Juna? Are you alright?”

     She held her hand up, silencing him.

     He approached her with a worried expression on his face. 

     “Do you hear that?”

     Jol hesitated, listening carefully, “what?”

     “It’s a child, Jol. I hear a child. It’s crying.”

     Jol looked at his young but heartbroken wife, “come now, my sweet. Let’s get you to bed.” He took her hand.

     But she pulled it away. “You don’t hear it?”

     “Juna…” He took her hand again before pulling her into a hug. “My love, you need to rest, your sorrow is making you­–”

     She pulled away. “I’m not crazy, Jol!” She cried. “There’s a child! I can hear it!”

And without another word, she turned and started to run in the direction of the woods, holding her lantern tightly in her hands. 

     “Juna!” Jol yelled as he chased after her.