Chapter 29 - [Jealousy]

Dukaryn sat in his throne, fidgeting with his sword. Meenu had arrived not too long ago so the King knew Avaryn would be here shortly.

     The throne room was silent as no one but the King, Seliaryn and two knights guarding the throne room doors were in there. All the knights had been sent to fight off any intruders, in case the Hidden showed up to help Avaryn as well.

     And Dukaryn was sure that he’d be able to take on Avaryn, so he didn’t need any other knights here to defend him.

     "Is the bitch suffering enough?" Dukaryn asked his right hand man, referring to Meenu who Dukaryn was dying to rip apart today.

     Seliaryn blinked slowly, "physically… not much. Emotionally? Probably."

     "Good," Dukaryn said. "Good."

     Seliaryn, who was standing next to the King, stood with his hands behind his back. He had been given orders by the king to not interfere in the upcoming battle and all he could think of right now was how he was going to hold himself back. Seliaryn knew it would be hard for him... but then he reminded himself that there would probably not even be a battle.

     If things went the way they were planned, then Avaryn would come, Meenu would be used against him, and then Avaryn would die.

     What happened to Meenu afterwards wouldn't be a concern to Seliaryn. He had to stop worrying for her. She was defending a criminal.

     She was in the wrong. Not Seliaryn.

     But Seliaryn couldn’t help but think about her.

     If she was lucky, maybe that group of warriors would get her out of here before Dukaryn got his hands on her.

     “Bring her here.” Dukaryn ordered.

     Seliaryn let out a breath before he looked over at two of the knights that were standing across from the throne, near the doors. They bowed before they rushed off.

     When they returned, it took the both of them to hold Meenu down. She was jumping around, shouting and fighting and doing everything she could to try and escape.

     Seliaryn frowned.

     When Meenu’s eyes fell on Seliaryn, she felt relief. “Seliaryn!” She yelled. “Please! Tell them to let me go!”

     His frown deepened, but he didn’t respond. In fact, he didn’t even look directly at her. But he couldn’t deny that he felt some sadness over the fact that she felt some relief to see him.

     Her shoulders dropped when he ignored her and she felt her heart sink. Had he really stopped caring? Did he really not want to help her anymore? “Seli…”

     “There’s no point fighting, whore.” Dukaryn said. “You can’t escape.”

     Meenu glared at the King. “You won’t be able to kill him.”

     “You fool. Avaryn is going to die today.” Both Seliaryn and Meenu could hear the smile in Dukaryn's voice. “After all these years… he’s finally done for.”

     Seliaryn didn’t feel as excited as Dukaryn probably felt.

     And just as Seliaryn was about to ponder deeply about what was going to happen, the throne room doors flew open.

     Seliaryn didn’t flinch as Avaryn walked into the room, but Dukaryn stood up quickly. “Stop right there!” Dukaryn hissed. “Or else we’ll kill Meenu.”