Chapter 10 - [Flirtatious Fool]

Meenu woke up when she heard knocking on the door of her room. Annoyed but realizing that it was well past noon, she freshened herself up as quick as she could and opened the door pretending she had woken up hours ago.

     "Morning." She said to the four maids that stood at the door.

     The four girls bowed before they charged in and dressed Meenu without saying a word.

     By the time Meenu was in the lovely violet gown that was tight above her waist but puffed up below it, she was fed up with the silence. "What are you dressing me up for?"

     "The ball." The youngest maid, who was maybe twelve, said. "The king is celebrating a victory and wants you there."

     "What victory?" Meenu asked.

     The girl shrugged.

     Meenu sighed. "But... He wants me there?"

     "Yes." The maid said as she nodded. "He told us to make sure you come."

     A smile formed on Meenu's face as she felt a little hopeful.

     He wanted her to be there.

     Maybe that meant something.

     They dressed her up and made her look as pretty as she was the day before.

     For whatever reason though, it took longer. It might have been because the maids were doing something complicated with her hair.

     But when she was ready, they made her wait a couple hours before taking her down to the ballroom.

     She had never seen the ballroom before, so she was amazed when they arrived.

     It was absolutely beautiful.

     It was a large round hall with windows that reached the ceiling and covered most of the wall. At one end was a low stage where a talented band played some relaxing music. And in the rest of the hall, people mixed and mingled and were just having a good time.

     There were flowers everywhere.

     And flowers meant that the entire place smelled lovely.

     On top of the flowers, there were also a lot of shiny objects, expensive looking decorations placed here and there.

     It was all so beautiful.

     While Meenu gazed in awe at the large hall, she saw the maids begin to leave her.

     That made her panic. "Wait!" She called, turning around. "What do I do?"

     The youngest one was again the one who spoke to her. "Just go speak with the king. He is your fiancé after all?"

     Meenu hesitating, knowing that she didn't know how complicated that would be.

     "Where's Lord Seliaryn?"

     "Still out on his mission." The youngest said. "He won't be here till later tonight, if not tomorrow."

     Meenu nodded and sighed when the maids decided not to keep her company and bowed before they left her alone.

     She hesitated for a while at the entrance before she walked in.

     Playing with her own fingers, she walked slowly as her eyes scanned the small crowd of people.

     Of course, she spotted the king instantly, wearing the big, thick crown specifically for Lumynos Kings. It looked like any other crown... Except it was much thicker and looked much heavier. And also, it was covered with red and black jewels.