Chapter 1

~

Jay woke up with a pounding in his skull, the nightmare that shook him still fresh in his mind. He sat up, trying to recall what his imagination had stirred up this time.

He closed his eyes.

There he flew, through the starry night sky, the air as crisp as a ripe apple, the ground smelling of fresh soil. He smiled- he had always dreamed of human kind taking flight one day. Something felt different, however. Was it his hair? Had his beautiful auburn curls gone black, hanging in his eyes? No, no, it definitely wasn't that.

Jay landed on a branch to scratch his face, which was terribly itchy at the moment. At that moment, he turned to the trunk of the tree, which immediately morphed into a mirror. Jay turned his head in different angles, trying to see what was different about him.

Then he froze.

Now he saw it. He was a bat.

"Jay! Get the hell up before I make you!"

Jay jolted awake, slamming his head on the sloped ceiling of the Destiny's Bounty. Kai stood at the doorway, tapping his foot and glaring at him. Jay yawned. "Sorry, Firecracker. I had a nightmare again."

"I bet. What, were you trying to catch up on it again?" Kai asked, a smirk etching across his face. "Oh, and don't call me 'Firecracker'. That's annoying. Like you."

Jay rolled his eyes and began to get dressed. "Whatever. Where is everyone?"

"Training." Kai sighed. "Which I am missing because of you, Sleeping Beauty."

Jay sighed and grabbed his nunchucks, tying up his boots to prepare for sunrise exercises. "Mmph... Okay... Firecracker!"

Jay yawned again, knowing he had missed hours of sleep. He seemed to do that a lot lately. Jay strolled to the washroom, splashed his face with cold water, and began to head to the upper deck. Suddenly, he felt someone bump into him. Rubbing his exhausted, aquamarine eyes, he peered at the mysterious someone, only to find out it was Nya, carrying a pitcher of lemonade. Nya, the most beautiful girl in the world, with raven hair and chocolate-amber eyes. He smiled and blushed behind the freckles that dotted across his nose.

"Hi Nya" He mumbled. They had been dating for a month now, and the sight of her still made him babble like an idiot.

"Hi Jay." She smiled at the ground, embarrassed. She then fixed her eyes upon him, her gaze locked upon his adorable blue eyes. They stared for a bit, not saying much. Nya placed the pitcher of lemonade on the dinner table.

What he did next was out of nowhere. Jay grabbed Nya by the waist, pulled her close, and locked lips with her. It was strange, especially for him. Nya was shocked for a second, but eventually wrapped her arms around him. Jay's ears burned in embarrassment, not knowing what came over him, but then smelled Nya's scent of sweet honeysuckle and cherries and relaxed. He smiled, knowing that whatever took him over at that moment was suave as hell.