Chapter 38

Edward's P.O.V

"What brings you here, Charlie?" I asked, glaring down at him with all the hate inside me. "I'm pretty sure it wasn't a change of heart because if you even had one, you bastard, I wouldn't be here in the first place. I'd be with my wife in our home, waiting for the arrival of our child. But no, thanks to you, I might not even be out by the time he's born."

Charlie shook his head. "Things are far too complicated than it seems, Edward. Things that weren't supposed to happen. You and my daughter were never to meet, not ever. Nonetheless fall in love and marry each other, it wasn't supposed to happen."

"Well, I'm sorry that your plan to marry her off with your associates son didn't go as planned. She found me and she has me, you're gonna learn how to deal with it."

Charlie sighed. "Edward, this is greater than her marrying Marcus instead of you. This deals with our families, the Cullen's, the Swans and Madam Sofia."

I frown, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

"Mind elaborating a bit, Charlie, because I'm completely confused on how all of our families have to do with that woman."

Charlie leaned closer to the glass. "This is something that has been going on for years, boy. The truth is... I fought alongside your father during the first world war."

I look at him shocked. "My father never joined the war."

"He never told you, or Elizabeth for starters. My wife knows, not my daughters. I suppose your father never told your mother. But we fought along with Billy Black-"

"Jacob Black's father."

He nodded. "We were in the same troop. We saw a lot of good men die, son. It was a very traumatizing time... I still have nightmares. Anyway, while we were out there fighting the war, some nurses were sent over to deal with the wounded. One of them was Marian Sofia or as you know her-"

"Madam Sofia."

He nodded again. "Your father had an affair with that woman while we we out there, it last all the duration of our time there until the war was over. But even after and I realized Sofia and I lived in the same town, he came over to see her as often as he could. We all thought them to be in love. They had plans. He was going to leave his rich family and move to Forks, start their own business, build their own home, etc. I was involved as well, I was their business partner to say the least. We invested a lot of money in that factory, but then one day, he was gone all along with our money. There was no factory... And Sofia was pregnant."

"Don't-"

"Your father sent us a letter saying he was going to marry a young woman from the town he lived in. He wasn't going to come back, he asked us - well her - to never contact him again, he didn't even know she was expecting his child. We were left without a business or any money. She was having a baby and I had a newborn Alice with a runaway wife - whose parents despised me. We tried for so long, Edward, to make our business work with the little money we had left. There were times where I worried if my girls will ever have their fine meal they deserved, but that's why I pushed them the way I did. Sofia made a plan, she absolutely loved Bella from the moment she was born and she knew what to do. We were going to against Cullen as hard as we could. Bella was going to marry Marcus and when your father died, he was going to show up and demand what is rightfully his. But things got complicated, I sent my girls to the war and there Bella met you. The rest, is history."

I look at the man in complete shock. My father was indeed a low life piece of shit that my mother despised. There was no wonder anymore. He had an affair with a woman, left her with the biggest problem there was and empty handed. The man who was supposed to marry my wife was my half brother, my blood and the simple thought of it sent chills down my spine.