Chapter 8

Bella's P.O.V

November 24, 1941...

The days that fallowed after it was announced that fifty troop members were being send to Great Britain were almost like the end of the a tragic romance novel. The three couples spent as much time with each other as they could and Jessica crying over a man who couldn't care less for her.

Just a couple days after the announcement, another one was made. They would release the names tomorrow the 25th and of course, it broke Alice's heart this morning when she realized that it was only the matter of hours before she knew whether Jasper had to go or not.

It hurt to see my sister sad and it hurt more knowing there was nothing in my power to prevent Jasper from leaving. There was still hope but yet again, this is war and they need as much help as possible.

When they came, Mr. Cullen came along. I always wondered why did he come when he had no business doing here. All he ever got out of coming is watching how devastated Jessica was for his possible going and her confessions of love toward him. Yet, he still came back and every time I would look up at him, I'd notice him looking at me. Something in his eyes always made my heart beat faster, it made me nervous and I hated myself for it. There was no reason why I should feel like that toward a man who is ignorant.

Each soldier were to be reexamined during the week so all my patients came back and repeat the process all over again.

Mr. Cullen came back but this time during his appointment he didn't speak a word to me unless it was needed. He didn't look at me, he tried to stay as far as needed but given the circumstances, it was hard for either of us. After his fitness exam was over, I lead him back to my office where I would give him his green pass that meant he was good to go for the war.

"You have to give this to your general and you're all good to go." I turned around just to jump when I saw him really close to me. I clear my throat, stepping back and offering him his green pass. "That's for you."

"Thank you." He took it. I wanted him to back away and leave, but he didn't. He remained where he stood, his eyes locked up with mine. "I heard Jacob's base is also going to be sending troops."

"Yeah, Jacob told me."

"You're very close to him," he observed.

"Jacob is just a friend," I said, slightly shrugging. "He is a very loyal human being."

"Yes, of course, a very loyal man." He clear his throat but never did we loose our eye contact.

I came to realize how deep were the color of his eyes. They green popped out with the reflection of the run. We remained in silence, close against each other and never looking away. My heart beats so fast, I'm sure he can feel my pulse. I swallow as my eyes trail down to his pinkish lips then back to his eyes. Our faces were just inches from each other. One slight move and he could kiss me and a nasty voice inside my head told me I wanted him to do that with all my heart.

He makes an attempt to say something but closes his mouth. He does again but doesn't bring himself to say anything.

I could feel tension from him, I could feel how he was debating whether to say what he wanted to say or not. Something inside me wanted him to tell me what he wanted to say, but the reasonable voice inside my head told me I do not want to know. Something moves in my stomach, it was like a butterfly feeling as he debated to speak.

Finally, he stepped back and cleared his throat. "Very well then, thank you for this." His voice had a hint of disappointed but his eyes showed remorse. He stormed out of the room, leaving the door open behind him.