Chapter 12

Bella P.O.V

December 4, 1941...

It was really late at night, I could barely sleep these last few days since I talked with Emmett. It was the most serious talk I've had with him since Emmett is not usually a serious person but he took it that way and told me the same story.

It just made me feel even worse knowing I had misjudged Edward so much. There are still some blank spots I still need to he filled but when I asked Emmett, the only thing he said that it was better if I talked to Edward myself for once and for all.

I do want to talk to him, I want everything to be cleared up everything but the guiltiness I have inside me prevents me from doing so. So far these past two weeks all I can think about is Edward Cullen over and over again.

Instead of laying in bed, annoyed by the fact I couldn't sleep, I decided to take a walk along the beach. It wasn't the best idea considering it being almost midnight, but I could use some air. As I walked out of the house, I looked west where the base is located. You could see the entire thing from here, all the ships and equipment they moved every day.

I walked along the beach, my arms around myself to keep myself from the cold of the night. It was a very quiet night, very cold and the full moon was at the highest point in the sky. I continued my walk, further away from the house until I saw a figure walking my direction. It didn't take long to recognize him as Edward.

We both stopped walking when we were just a few feet from each other. He gave me a confused look when our eyes met.

"I couldn't sleep," I said as an excuse.

"Neither could I."

I bite my lip. "I want to apologize for my behavior at the party."

"There is nothing you should apologize about," he said.

"There is." I sigh, running my hands through my hair. "This is probably not the best moment but I am sorry. I'm sorry for judging, for insulting you with no reason even when I thought I had one. I should have known you better before I got to judge you. I'm not going to deny, you had no business in interfering between Jasper and my sister but I know you did it to protect your friend and that's exactly what I would do for my family. I'm sorry for letting a liar like Jacob Black turn me against you when he had all the fault."

"Isabella, I don't want your apologies."

"Then what can I do?" I insisted. "This guilt is eating me alive. I've never been so-"

"Isabella, stop." He covered my mouth with his hand. He looked amused, very amused and the fact that my distress might amuse him angers me. "Isabella, I understand. I'm not judging you. I did not make a good impression of myself the day we met or any day after that." He drops his hand.

"You did insult me when we first met," I said, remembering that awful night. "You were very arrogant and uneducated. You even said I wasn't up to your expectations."

"I know, I was wrong." He took a deep breath and looked at me. His green eyes sparkled with the light of the moon hitting directly to them. "You know, when you're raised by a woman who's goal is to get higher in society, your friends are kind of assholes."

I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest. That's still no excuse for his behavior. I give him a stern look, waiting for him to go on. He sighs before continuing.

"My mother always told me I had to marry a girl that was from high society, I was expected to join in the force regarding what I wanted, I'm suppose to have my children follow my father's steps regarding what I want for them. My life was already planned before I was born," he said. "I went along with it because after my father died, I was the only man left in the family. My little sister looked up at me. So, I did what I was suppose to do."