Chapter 5

Bella's P.O.V

October 19, 1941...

I sigh, looking at Mark Sandler who looks back at me with pleading eyes. He passed all of the tests except for the eye sight. It is required for the pilots to have perfect eyesight, how am I suppose to pass him if he can't read the bottom line from five feet away?

"Mark, you need to pass the eye exam in order for me to check you off," I said. I look down at the paper work on my desk and sigh. "Look, you have three days to come back. Go and check with an oculist and come back once you get a pair of glasses, understood?"

He nodded. "Yes, thank you so much, Miss." He clapped his hand together. "I'll be back on Wednesday, I promise."

"I'll see you then," I said, closing his file. Hopefully he will or else I'll be forced to inform my superior he is not qualified for work.

I put his file with the other six patients I've seen today. It's been a long, busy day here at the hospital. Some of the patients are nice, others are fairly rude. I'm glad the day it's almost over but I'm disappointed with who is going to end.

I've seen Edward sitting in the waiting room every time I stepped out of my office to call in my new patient and he did not look happy to be left waiting. I take a deep breath before grabbing his file and walking out to the waiting room. It's almost empty, almost all of the patients have left after their appointment.

I clear my throat. "Edward... Cullen." He looks up at me and raised both eyebrows, surprised when he realized I was the nurse in charge of him. I clear my throat again. "Follow me, please."

I enter the exam room with him following. I tense up when I hear the door lock behind him and it's only just us in the small room. I sit down, turning the screen on without looking at him.

"Please step behind the yellow line," I said.

I turn to him. He stands there waiting for my next instruction. He's wearing casual clothes today. A pair of blue pants and a black shirt, the sleeves tighten around his biceps. I force myself to look away before he noticed. I do notice, as a matter of a fact, that he eyed me up and down in my nurse unform. I've never hated a short dress in my entire life the way I do now.

"Have you ever experienced any problems with your sight?" I asked.

"No."

"No complications or discomfort?"

"No."

I nod. "Please cover your left eye."

He does.

"Read the second to last line from left to right and from right to left," I instruct.

"F. D. P. L. T. C. E. O. O. E. C. T. L. P. D. F."

I nod. "Cover the right eye and read the same line both times."

"F. D. P. L. T. C. E. O. O. E. C. T. L. P. D. F."

I nod, again. "Okay. Please, take a seat." I point at the empty chair next to me. I grab my stethoscope and stand up. Mr. Cullen follows me with his eyes as I, with shaking hands, place the cold metal over his hard chest. He tensed up under the cold metal, even when there's the cloth in between. "Take a deep breath."

He does.

"And slowly exhale."

He does.

"Again."

He does.

"Okay, you're lungs sound good," I said placing my stethoscope down. I grab the upper arm pressure monitor and grab his left bicep. The entire time he keeps his eyes on me as I tighten the monitor and get my numbers. "You're pressure seems to be at good level," I said, unwrapping it from his arm.