Chapter 26

Bella's P.O.V

I walk down the stairs, calling Edward's name but I receive no answer. Where is he? I just woke up from a very long nap but when I did, he wasn't there. He said he'd be here by the time I woke up. Where is he? I find my mother in the kitchen cooking dinner.

"Mom, have you seen Edward?"

She looks at me, part of her shows the shock by the fact that this is the first time I've spoken to her since last night and maybe by my question as well.

"No, my dear," she says, wiping her hands on a rug. "Last time I saw him he left to go see Alice's doctor."

"How long ago was that?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. "How long was I asleep?"

Mom presses her lips together and hums. "Maybe four hours. I was just about to check up on you because dinner is almost ready."

That's odd, Edward would never take that long. I head out of the kitchen, grabbing my coat from the hanger. Alice watches me and frowns, but doesn't say anything. My father, however, did not let it pass.

"Where are you going?" He asked, placing his newspaper down.

"I'm looking for Edward," I said, wrapping myself around my coat. "I won't be long."

"It's late, just wait until he gets home on his own," he said, standing from his precious couch. "Come on, your mother said dinner is almost ready."

"I'll eat once I come home with Edward," I reply. "Now if you can excuse me, I'm going to look for my husband."

"Bella, don't be absurd," Alice said standing up. "Just wait until he comes back, how much longer could he take if he went to schedule an appointment with my doctor?"

I ignore her comment and look at my father. "I'll be back with my husband."

I close the door behind me before they even have the change to stop me. I don't care if it's too late at night or whatever, I'm looking for Edward. He said he'd be home by the time I woke up and he wasn't. He never breaks his word, it doesn't matter if it's as insignificant as a promise of being back soon. How long would it take to schedule an appointment? Certainly not four hours.

What if he left?

I shake the thought almost as immediately as it came. No, he wouldn't do that, would he? He wouldn't leave me. Edward is not that kind of man, he's respectable and he loves me. I know that having a baby wasn't in his plans, it wasn't in mine but we'll get through this together. I know we will. We've already been through so much. God, we've been through a war and still remained just as strong as ever. This isn't anything. This isn't something that would break us, in fact it'll bring us closer together. It's an unexpected miracle.

I walk toward the hospital and yet there is no sign of Edward anywhere in the streets. Kimberley smiles at me when she sees me approaching the register.

"Isabella, how are you today?" She asks with her lovely tone. Something about her voice made it so smoothing.

"Hi, I'm actually wondering if you happened to see my husband Edward? Tall man-" I reach my hand over my head to point it out. "Bronze hair, green eyes..."

"Oh, yes!" She grabs a clipboard from her desk and opens a page. "He came here a couple hours ago to make an appointment with your sisters doctor. It's actually tomorrow at noon-oh, look! He's right there."

I turn over my heels, expecting to see my husband but instead I see Alice's doctor. Dr. Stevens walks up to me with a wide smile on his face and offers me his hand.