Chapter 9

Bella's P.O.V

I walk off the porch and run toward him. He drops both his bags and embraces me in a tight hug. I can feel his heart hammering his chest wildly. He is even sweating. I pull away instantly, taking his face between my hands.

"Jacob, what are you doing here?" I asked alarmed.

"I have to leave the harbor," he said in a whisper. "I have to but they won't let me leave."

"Why?" I asked.

"My mother, she's terribly ill. I got an emergency call this morning, she's in the hospital and I have to be there for her. I asked for permission to see her but unfortunately they won't let me." He pulled away, running his hands through his hair. "That's why I have to leave tonight. I just wanted to see you before I leave."

I cross my arms over my chest. "Yes, I understand. You have to go. I really hope you're mother is fine."

He shook his head. "That's not why I wanted to see you." He stepped forward and took my hand. "I want you to come with me."

I step away from him immediately, taking my hand away.

"What?"

"I want you to come with me. I heard about the nurses, they'll be sending groups and groups off to the Middle East in January. I couldn't leave knowing you could be one of them."

"Jacob..." I was amazed at his request. Run away with him? I barely know him, I can't do that. "Jacob, I can't leave with you. It's an absurd idea. I have to stay because that's why I came here. I came here to serve and if they need me in the battlefields, I'll go." I pull my hair behind my ears. "I can't just leave. My sister needs me right now, she's heartbroken."

He nodded, biting on his lower lip. "I understand. It couldn't hurt to try." He stepped forward and kissed my cheek. "Hopefully we'll see each other again," he sighed.

"Hopefully. Goodbye, Jacob." As I turned to walk back to the house, he gripped my arm, hard. I look at him confused before yanking my arm away.

"There's something else I have to say. It's about your sister."

"What about her?" I asked.

"I know I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I can't hold it to myself. I heard Edward talking this afternoon to a group of friends. He was bragging about helping convince his friend Jasper to volunteer for the troops and thanks to that he'll hopefully be out of the reach of gold diggers."

"What?" I couldn't believe what he said. Did he really do that?

"It's all about the difference between their social classes, he sees you as inferior to them and I'm sure that's what he told him in order for him to break up with your sister," Jacob said. "Izz, I'm very sorry."

"No, it's fine," I said, trying to hide my anger. How dare he? What right did he have to do such thing? He did on purpose and he had the decency to tell me he was sorry for it. It was probably his conscious.

No, a man like him probably doesn't have a conscious.

"I know you're angry," Jacob said. "I'm sorry I had to tell you."

I wipe my tears away. "No, I thank you for it, Jacob. You've been nothing but a true friend for me." I wrap my arms around him. "Thank you."

With that said, I walk away back to the house. I slam the door behind me, all anger rising up inside me. I want to kill him. I want to rip his cold heart out with my bare hands and watch the life fade away from his eyes. Why would he do this? What did my poor sister ever do to him? His ambition is beyond belief, I can't believe I've become aquatinted with such man. How could Angela think I was in love with him?