CHAPTER ONE

NOTE: I WAS STILL LEARNING HOW TO WRITE AT THIS POINT. THE CHAPTERS GET BETTER AFTER A WHILE. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET TIME TO EDIT THESE ONES OUT.

Yasir sat on his prayer mat listening intently to the recitation of Surah Yaseen.He usually listened to it every morning and by now, he knew most of it by heart.He knew many other surahs by heart too but Surah Yaseen would always remain to be his favourite.

As soon as the last verse was recited the player automatically switched off by itself.He then lifted his hands in the air and made heartfelt dua for each of his family members and his friends.

After he was done, he waited patiently on the mat for his brother Hisham, to come help him make his way to the dining hall for breakfast.He usually could figure out his way with the aid of his cane but going down the stairs was tricky.

Minutes later there was a knock on his door.

"Come in."

"Asalam aleikum,how is my handsome son doing today?" asked his mother as she made his way towards him and helped him up.

"Waleikum salam. Alhamdullilah Mama,everything was good, but it all got better after hearing your beautiful voice."

His mother let out a hearty laugh shaking her head.

"Come on, i have come to get you.Hisham has insisted on making breakfast today.Something along the lines of its sunnah to help women in the kitchen."

Yasir couldnt miss the hint of amusement in her voice.He too let out a laugh as he gripped on to the cane she handed him.

"Oh no Mama, be ready to have some burnt toast today," he said trying to control his laughter.

Everyone knew how terrible his elder brother was in the kitchen but no one had the heart to tell him.They would all eat his burnt toasts and half cooked eggs quietly cringing inwardly.

"Dont forget about your farewell party tonight.Your father has invited most of his friends too.Its going to be a full house," said his mother.

He nodded quietly.He enjoyed having people around.He would always have a good laugh and most of the aunties adored him.He loved it when they all fussed over him.

They made their way down the stairs very slowly.Painfully slow.Fortunately for him, his family members were extremely patient.Especially his elder brother Hisham.He was his pillar of support.

This had been his life for the past twenty three years.His parents had tried all that they could to get him the best treatment, but to no avail.

He had been born blind and he tried to see his blindness like a blessing rather than a test.

************************************
Yumnah couldn't contain her excitement when her father told her that they would be going to his house in the evening.She just could not wait.She had already planned to wear her new pink hijab and her black laced abaya that her mother had gotten her from Dubai.

Unfortunately for her, this was his farewell party.She had heard her father telling her mother that he was being sent to London to finish up on his special studies.Just the thought of it made her sad.

Its not like she used to see him every other day, at times months would pass by before their families would meet up.But just knowing that he was around, in the same city, would make her heart flutter.

"Yumnah dear,would you like to make a sweet dish to take to uncle Hussein's house tonight?" asked her mother.

"Of course Mama."

She definately wouldn't miss the chance.Just the thought that he might eat it, made her stomach flip.

She knew that he loved pineapples and she immediately got down to work.

She needed to bake the most perfect pineapple tart.

************************************

Yasir was waiting outside on the swing for Hisham who had gone back into the house to get them both some dessert.His farewell party had turned out okay, he did not know many of the guests since most of them were his father's friends.He himself did not have friends, so usually he would just hang out with Hisham's friends.

Since he could not see, he tried to recognize people by their voices and usually it was a bit difficult if he was meeting them again after a long time.He sighed.Hisham was taking too long.He was sure that he couldn't decide which dessert to take or was taking a piece from all of them.

According to Hisham,their large table was full of different types of sweet dishes which had been brought by different guests.Hisham loved sweet food, therefore he was dead sure that his elder brother must be stuffing his plate to the very top with each dish.

As for him,he knew what he wanted.He had smelt pineapple as soon as he had stepped near the dessert table.Hisham had told him that it was pineapple tart and he couldnt wait to try it out.

He continued waiting patiently listening to the different voices in their garden.

"There's the birthday boy," someone shouted but not too loudly.

Yasir laughed.He knew that voice alright.No one could miss Imran.He was really loud with a good sense of humour.He was a good friend of theirs and his mother even considered him to be her third son.

"Its not my birthday Imran."

"Really now?Dont tell me i wasted money buying you a birthday gift."

Yasir laughed loudly again.Imran was impossible.

"Well, i wouldn't mind an advance birthday gift."

Imran snorted and joined him on the swing.

"Let me just keep you company since Hisham will definately take a while.The dude is literally hogging the whole table," said Imran.

Yasir let out a chuckle.He could only but imagine.

"So, i heard your mom is on a wife hunt for you?" asked Yasir, a mischevious grin on his face.

He heard Imran huff beside him.

"I am not going to marry any of the girls from here.I cant handle them.I dont want to die before my time comes dude."

Yasir laughed.He could only wish him luck.Knowing Imran's mother, it wouldnt be long before he got hitched.

They continued talking and were later joined by Hisham who had his plate literally full of dessert.Yasir grabbed his own plate gratefully.He had waited long enough.

He fumbled with his fork and upon taking the first bite, he closed his eyes.It was utterly delicious.The best pineapple tart he had ever had.He wondered which auntie must have made it.Everything in it was to precision.The sugar,cinammon and the pineapple too.

"Il go get some more dessert," said Hisham disappearing once again into the house.

Yasir and Imran just laughed shaking their heads.The guy could not be helped.

"So, who is the girl in the pink hijab?" Asked Imran.

"Is this a joke?How would i know Imran.I am blind remember?"

Imran snorted beside him.

"Why do you ask though?" he asked taking another bite of the tart.

"Dude, because she has been stealing glances at you for the past twenty minutes."

PLEASE SHOW ME YOUR SUPPORT BY VOTING :) ,COMMENTING :) AND SHARING :)

ASALAM ALEIKUM :)