CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Hisham leaned against the kitchen counter,waiting for the kettle to boil as he thought of how his life had turned out.Just some months back he had been a happy, carefree guy surrounded by people who loved him for who he truly was.But most of all, he had been happy.Extremely happy.

But then his life had changed drastically.Was he happy now?Not at all.As much he had not wanted to get married but he had been trying to make it work from the very first day.He had tried to cater for his wife's every need.He showered her with all the love that he had but nothing seemed to be enough for her.

He was jolted back to reality when the kettle went off.He quickly made himself some black coffee afterwhich he opened the fridge to get something to eat.

But it was...

Empty.

Hisham sighed.Wow.Like at least she could have put some water in it to cool if nothing else.He quickly switched off the fridge from the mainswitch.He was definitely not going to be paying electricity bills for something they were not using.

He then opened the snack cupboard...

Empty.

The larder...

Empty.

The fruit basket...

Empty.

He cringed inwardly.Even when he had gone off to university, never had their kitchen been this empty yet they had all been boys.Not that he believed that a woman's place was in the kitchen, but seriously, what did this woman do at home all day?She could at least have shopped for some food since even half of his paycheck went to her.

His eyes landed on a small packet of crackers that lay near the water filter.The type of crackers you got for free when you bought a bottle of detergent or something.Guess that would have to do for now.

He opened the packet and munched on a cracker as he made his way to the bedroom.

"Zulekha habibty, wake up,its time for fajr," he said as he entered the room.

"For goodness sake Hisham, what are you munching on so loudly?"

"Umm,crackers?"

"Then stop making that cracking sound.Its irritating and im trying to sleep," she said sleepily.

"How does one eat crackers without making a cracking sound? And secondly wake up, its fajr time."

"Im too tired."

"Tired after doing what Zulekha?Im sure Yasir and Yumnah have woken up for prayers yet it was their Walima yesterday.Stop whining and get up.Tired is the last thing you should be," he said in frustration.

"Dont compare me to that woman, Hisham.Im sure she just married that blind brother of yours because of money.No one marries a blind man these days."

"My brother may not be able to see but he is still a human being.So treat him like one," shouted Hisham.

Wow.What a great way to start the day and to think that he had not even prayed his first Salah yet.

He quickly grabbed his shoes and began walking out.

"And where are you going off to now?"

"To the masjid.Since you are not interested in praying together,i might as well earn some Hasanat by praying with the brothers at the masjid," he said as he slammed the bedroom door really hard on the way out.

Guess the masjid was the only place left for him to get the peace he really needed.

********

Yumnah woke up to find her husband's face buried deep within her neck.She could clearly hear his heavy breathing and she was glad that he had been able to sleep peacefully.