CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

Hisham held on to his breathe as he watched the doctor apply the colourless gel over his wife's abdomen.They had their appointment for their very first ultrasound and he had been unable to sleep the entire night due to excitement.He had waited for this day for the past few months and it was finally here.

This was one of the very first steps of his journey as a father and he wanted to cherish each and every single moment.

"Hisham, i am scared," said Zulekha, fear clearly etched all over her face.

She had always had a phobia for hospitals and the hospital smell too was making her feel like throwing up.

"Its okay habibty, i am right here with you," he said as he brought her delicate hand to his lips afterwhich he tightly entwined his hand with hers.

"I am about to start now, are you guys ready?" asked the doctor.

Hisham and Zulekha both nodded  and Hisham's eyes widened immediately the first image was cast on the screen.He could not figure out anything but he knew that his baby, his blood was right there.

As the doctor carefully described the images to them, tears welled up in his eyes and as soon as the doctor turned,he bent down and placed a light feathery kiss on his wife's forehead.He was extremely grateful to Allah for this blessing and at at the same time he was grateful to Zulekha because through her, he was going to become be a father.

"Would you like to know the gender of the baby?"

Hisham froze.Could they really know the gender this early?He wasn't sure if he wanted to know.All this was too overwhelming for him.

"Can you know the gender this early?"he asked.

"Well, you have a healthy baby there and yes i can clearly make out the gender," said the doctor.

"Tell us," said Zulekha.

Hisham quickly shook his head in disapproval.He didn't want to know.Not now.He preferred knowing whether it was a boy or a girl the day he would hold his baby in his arms.He wanted to find out then.

"Zulekha, lets wait until..."

"Just tell us doctor," she said totally ignoring her husband.

"It's a girl."

Hisham tightened his grip on Zulekha's hand as he digested what the doctor had just told them.

A girl.

His girl.

A Hosseini.

He could already imagine her running around the house with her tiny legs.Ya Allah,he had so much to learn over these few months.He had to first learn how to braid hair,make ponytails and no, none of her ponytails would be like Stupid Yusra's.No way.

His little girl would be special.Very special.

"Hisham are you happy?"asked Zulekha smiling for the very first time since they had gotten there.

"Of course habibty.You have made me the most happiest man on this planet.Thank you Zulekha," he said as he bent down again and placed another kiss on her forehead.

Zulekha nodded and placed her other hand over his.

Maybe this indeed was new a beginning for both of them.

Or was this pregnancy going to create another havoc in Hisham's already disoriented life?

********

Yasir closed his eyes and laid his head back on the pillow.He was having a migraine and all he wanted to do was rest.He always experienced migraines whenever he overworked himself.Since he was blind, he had to cram most of the figures hence always overworking his brain.