Betrayers, Rescuers, Myrters

Chapter 114

Leo messengered armfuls of supplies between the woods and the main cabins.

They had captured and killed at least ten different obsidian monsters. The youngest campers had taken shelter inside of bunker nine and the rest were working non-stop to trap the rest of the creatures.

The sky was already turning gray and Leo had gradually become more and more like molasses. After stumbling into two creeks, ticking off three dryads, and being chased by, not one, but four different monsters at the same time, Leo was over it. Fortunately, he wasn't bait anymore so his fire would keep him from running into any more trees.

No one knew where the creatures had come from, but most everyone assumed it had something to do with Annabeth and Percy. Everything seemed to connect back to those two.

As Leo made his way back from the forge he spotted Piper.

She raced towards him with a live chicken in her arms and a bowl full of worms.

"Did you get it?" she asked.

Leo hefted the blow torch off its place on his tool belt.

"Yes, but I don't know why-" he started before she took the blow torch from his hand.

"Thanks," she said, already making her way towards the woods.

"Have you tried charmspeaking them?" Leo asked.

"Yes, but I think those guys are made of stone because it is not very effective," the chicken squirmed as she switched it to her other arm. It was a real balancing act between the chicken, blow torch, and worms. "Are you going back to the arena?"

Leo nodded.

"here," she handed him the chicken which promptly began pecking at his face.

"Stop that!" Leo commanded the chicken. Of course, it ignored him.

Piper reached into her pocket and pulled out a pendant, "Here, I'll trade you."

Leo gladly handed the chicken back over and took the pendant.

"one of the Hecate kids said it would keep those creatures from escaping." Piper explained.

Leo put it in his tool belt and nodded, "I doubt Mrs. O'Leary will let any of those things escape, but I'll take it there."

"Good point," Piper said, "Any idea how many more are out there?"

"Nope," Leo stared at her and then at the chicken, "So . . . is there a reason you have a chicken?"

Piper looked down at the chicken for the first time, "Yea, when my mom gave me a new Horn of Plenty after the war she failed to mention that it also shot out live food."

Leo laughed, "Wait so a live chicken popped out of the horn? Oh, that's fantastic! We should use that! You know how in some countries they eat dog? Do you think if you thought 'Dog' while you're holding it, a dog would pop out? It could be an instant puppy maker!"

Piper blinked at him, "You're insane."

Leo pretended to act shocked.

Piper rolled her eyes, "see you in a bit, try not to run into any more creeks."

"Ha ha," Leo said dryly.

Piper headed deeper into the forest where one of the traps were set while Leo headed towards the arena.

The camp was eerily quiet except for the odd burst of noise after one of the creatures were caught. They had renovated the arena into a little jail for all the creatures. When they killed two of the creatures and neither of them disappeared, it was obvious they were not normal monsters. So, to stay on the safe side, they decided to capture them instead.