The First Order

Chapter 86

    Relief poured through Percy suddenly. He gasped and his eyes flew open. The horrific pain was gone. It left in its place an aching numbness. Percy moved weakly as he tried to see Militum. The guy was shaking with his face pulled tight in pain. Confusion ran through him. He had momentarily seen Militum in his mind, but he had assumed it was brought on by the trauma.

    Had he . . . ?

    It was too much to contemplate.

    Percy rolled onto his back and stared up at the blue sky through the trees. He had no idea where they were or where Lorem was. It was strange she wasn't back yet. Reaching out his consciousness he tried to find any water he could. Sensing a flow of water below him, Percy felt a tug in his gut and the water began to seep through the ground beneath him. By the time the dirt he was laying on turned to mud Percy was exhausted. Forcing the water up, he let it surround him. The water refreshed him. Percy sighed.

    His thoughts were interrupted by Militum sucking in a painful breath. Percy turned his head into the mud to see him. Militum's skin was red and sweating. It was disturbing to see him with sunken cheeks and so very weak and vulnerable. Percy's powers almost never worked on other people than himself, but he had to try and relive his pain. He moved the muddy water towards him.

    "Don't," Militum muttered.

    Percy stopped. He wanted to help him but after everything Militum had done . . . even if he could help . . .

    Instead Percy lay in his muddy puddle beside the demon who had taken on his suffering.

*************

    Rey was still shaken. Seeing all of the colorful things around her was overwhelming. The bright blue sky reflected on top of so much water. Rey couldn't remember the last time she had seen so much water in one place. The bright greens of the foliage around her was dazzling. It all took her breath away. Stepping onto the dark dirt and breathing in the crisp air was beyond refreshing. Standing out amongst everything was a mighty castle between the forest and the lake. She wanted to run into the water and dive in. all of the sand and grime to be washed away. The thought of spending hours underneath the green leaves of all the trees made her heart skip a beat.

    Han Solo and Finn were still inside. Part of her wanted to drag them both out and point at all of the glistening beauty- but something told her they wouldn't quite appreciate it the way she would.

    "You might need this,"

    Startled, Rey turned to see Han handing her a blaster pistol.

    "I think I can handle myself," Rey said defensively. After living alone most of her life, she most certainly could.

    "I know you do," Han said, "that's why I 'm giving this to you." she hesitated. "Take it."

    Rey picked it up and gripped it tightly. It was heavier than she expected.

    "You know how to use one of these?" he asked.

    "Yea, you pull the trigger," she said indignantly.

    Han smiled and shook his head, "There's a little bit more to it than that." he took in the view before muttering, and "You got a lot to learn."

    Irritation filled her. She had just saved their backsides and he was now talking down to her?

    "You got a name?" Han said.

    Thrown off, she realized he had never asked, "Rey."

    "Rey. I 've been thinking about bringing on some more crew, Rey." Her curiosity peaked, she looked up at him, "A second mate. Someone to keep out. Someone who can keep up with Chewie and me. Appreciates the Falcon."