Poison

Chapter 96

    Lorem and Sherlock landed into a huge pile of hay.

    A stalk of it got stuck in her mouth and she spit it out. The taste of dirt and grime still stuck to her tongue. The pieces of hay poked her through her clothes and all of her exposed skin was suddenly incredibly itchy. She and Sherlock fumbled as they tried to crawl out of the massive pile. He stopped but she didn't realize in time. the loose hay had been sitting on top of bundles that put her five feet higher above the ground. Lorem yelped as she tumbled to the ground taking a whole collection of hay with her. Unfortunately none of it saved her from the cold hard ground she landed on.

    Lorem groaned. Gosh she was putting on a show for him. If his comment back at the hospital hadn't been insulting enough . . .

    "Well," a new voice said above her, "What do we have here?"

    Lorem raised her head from the ground slowly. A pair of beautiful boots were nearly five inches from her face. If her cheeks weren't red already, they certainly were now. Lorem scrambled into a sitting position, all of the grace she had had completely abandoned her. Once she had moved back she took in the owner of the lovely shoes.

    Hands on the hips and a wicked smile on her face as Sherlock jumped down from the pile of hay to join her. Her face was delicately colored with makeup and designer clothes colored the rest of her. The woman wasn't incredibly young but she was stunning in every way.

    Lorem glanced up at Sherlock who brushed some hay off of his shoulders and she could have sworn some color filled his cheeks too.

    "Sherlock," the woman said as her eyes raked down his body and back up. Her smile grew, "What a surprise."

    Sherlock cleared his throat, "Irene Adler."

    Those perfect lips pulled to the side of her face in a deadly smirk.

    "If you two are done playing in the hay like animals, why don't you join me for tea?" she said.

    ***********

    It smelled worse than the pits.

Human waste and unwashed bodies filled the underground. Militum had to breathe through his mouth to try and fail to avoid the putrid air he was inhaling.

    Percy probably would have screamed at the impact his leg had when it hit the ground if he had not already passed out. His whole body was limp between the two of them. Militum cursed.

    "Where the heck are we?" Militum snarled.

    John panted as they carried Percy towards an unoccupied alcove of the underground pig sty.

    "This is one of the places the homeless come to keep dry," John grunted, "I never knew a teenage boy could be so heavy." Militum laughed dryly.

    Overhead he could hear the rumbling of a train and little pieces of rock and dust fell from the ceiling. That made him feel safe.

    "Sherlock runs a homeless network through here," John explained as they gently laid him onto the ground.

    "We need to get him help," Militum said, even in this dank light he could see that Percy was pale.

    "Good thing I am a doctor then," John said as he knelt next to Percy's injured leg. Militum's eyebrows rose but he said nothing.

    Militum leaned against the wall, ignoring it's slightly moist texture. He scanned the area and the other figures who huddled in the shadows.