Chapter 25: Spineless

I felt Sena weakly grip my hand as I moved away from her for a moment. Her strength, even in her ill state, was still surprisingly strong that it took me by surprise. Every second that passed she grew weaker. I could almost feel her slipping away. Every time I went to check her temperature I felt something inside me die.

            I knelt down closer to her as I stroked a strand of hair from her face. I couldn't stand to see her die again. I don't think I could take watching her death twice.

            I had no one else. No one who knew the real person I was. No one who understood me as well as she could. How could I possibly say goodbye to her again?

            "Don't die," I whispered and I saw her eyes squeeze shut for a moment as her bottom lip trembled. She looked much different when she was sleeping than when she was awake. I didn't have to hear any smartass remarks when her eyes were closed like this, but at a moment like this, a smartass remark was all I could hope for.

            "Sa-" She began to whispered as she stirred in bit in her sleep. My eyes immediately snapped up to her and I waited. I was waiting for her to wake up and be fine. "Sasuke...is..." gay... I thought to myself as she ended it there and drifted back into a deeper slumber.

            I leaned back in my chair and blinked a few times.

            It was hard to believe that she could think about that jerk in her sleep. I didn't see what she saw in him. He wasn't even that cute. She could do better.

            What was I so jealous of that caused such a reaction? Did I want Sasuke all to myself?

            I felt my face grow hot with the very idea. It was absurd. I could never. I didn't even like him when we were both ninjas in the Leaf.

            Boys are icky.

            I slumped down in my seat as a slightly angry pout settled on my lips. I didn't like this feeling. I thought Sena caused my affections for him, but she's not even in my head anymore. At least I don't think she was.

            I leaned down next to her as I gave the girl a scathing stare.

            What was so special about him? I've seen more attractive men. I've definitely seen more boys with more desirable personalities.

            This was just... just frustrating. Absolutely frustrating. I hated it. 

            Was this why Sena always talked about tearing her own heart out?

            I didn't want to fall for anyone. I'd have to watch them get old while I can't die. It's not fair. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to die. After all, I've hardly even lived. It wouldn't be fair if I had to die. I've only ever kissed one boy in the last four hundred years... (she doesn't count Sasuke's kiss).