Chapter 1: A Stray Heartbeat

"The individual does actually carry on a double existence: one designed to serve his own purposes and another as a link in a chain, in which he serves against, or at any rate without, any volition of his own

"The individual does actually carry on a double existence: one designed to serve his own purposes and another as a link in a chain, in which he serves against, or at any rate without, any volition of his own."

― Sigmund Freud

       Holding a red rose by the giant stone building made my thoughts twist. Why I was even here? Sentimentality had never been my strong suit, but I did want some silence and I suppose this was the cost for her shutting her mouth for fifteen minutes. I would take those minutes in stride. My eyes roamed the petals of the rose, red as the very blood he spilled. That made me smile and I was amused to find a single silver lining in between the dead.

       The crypt held its calm, eerie and unmoving like time seemed to, again and again. A place where the bones of my forefathers held inside. It sealed their bodies in there with ancient Chakra only to be unsealed when someone from the main family died. Even then not every main family member was special enough to get their spot inside. After all these years had past, the 'Itadori' clan seemed to fade into blurs of faces whom I could barely recognize anymore. They hardly even felt like my clan anymore. I suppose that was what time did. Time and a made up clan name that held no history.

       I quickly decided I didn't belong here and dropped the rose by the door before turning my heel and walking off as the wind ruffled my long hair around.

¥¥

       Lord Danzo sat upon his throne of glory, his emotionless eye observing me from above. It made my deadpan facade start to waver. The intrusive thought of stabbing him through the skull invaded the precipises of my mind, but some things weren't worth the efforts made on the account of pride. He took his time to speak, but that didn't matter for I'd in turn take my time to listen. My mask covered my face like it always did when I would report in about meaningless missions he enjoyed to flaunt my way. I was a little annoyed they had paired me with the mask of the the Bear, as I always thought I deserved something cool like the fox or the fucking cat, but no. I got stuck with the fat ass bear.

       "Take off the mask, you won't need it," he ordered and I quickly took it off to reveal my bright orange eyes as my hair dropped in swift curls that I had taken hours on this morning. My eyes met his almost obediently. I had, of course, no hesitation or question for taking off the mask. That could be more to do with my more than a little obvious vain love of my own face. "You already know the point of this entire mission, do you not?"

       "Of course," I answered, finding it easy to be emotionless lest he see that what I really felt was contempt at being ordered around like a child. I glanced at Danzo's arm which was wrapped securely in a white bandage as if it were broken. How I wanted to see what it looked like, and curiosity reeked me plenty. I swiftly looked back into his eyes.