Chapter 16

**Carter's POV**

"Its the middle of the night. Is everything ok?"

"Can I come in please?" I asked

"Sure"

"I didn't know if you'd let me in. I know it's been a while"

Ryan sighed and sat on the couch next to me "don't you have a wedding to prepare for"

"Ryan, I need to tell you something"

"Let me guess. You're pregnant by him and you don't know how to tell your family."

I wiped my tears and looked down "I wish it was that easy"

Ryan's face softened and he looked at me with concern writen on his face "What's going on?"

I looked at him "Kyle hit me again"

"What!? Again!? Carter, you should left his sorry butt the first time! How many times has this happened"

"I don't know. A few times. I just- I deal with this kinda stuff at work all the time. My kids come to school with burises and I put a stop to that, and now I let it happen to me? I just couldn't take it anymore. I still love him, but I don't think I can marry him"

"You're not marrying him. You can't. He's lucky I haven't beat him yet"

"Ryan, just stop, ok? I don't wanna talk about it anymore"

"Do you want me to make you some hot chocolate?"

I smiled slightly "you remembered?"

"Of course. Your mom used to give you hotchocolate every time you had a bad day or you just needed something to comfort you when you didn't feel good" Ryan shrugged then walked into his kitchen

I smiled and looked down at cupcake who was asleep beside me. In the time I dated Kyle he never remebered things like this.

"With colored marshmallows because they make everything better, and whipped cream because why not"

"Thank you, Ryan. I can't believe you remembered all this"

Ryan shrugged and kissed my forehead "I missed you"

"I missed you too"

"Why don't you and cupcake sleep here tonight and we'll deal with jackhole tomorrow"

I giggled "jackhole?"

"Vinny used it the other day, and I thought it was clever so I stole it"

I took off my engagement ring and put it on the table

"We could always burn it" Ryan said

"I just wanna forget about him. I can't believe I almost married that monster"

"One day, Carter, you'll meet a guy who's everything he isn't. A guy who will love you, fight for you, and protect you. And hopefully that guy will make you forget all about Kyle."

"Hey Ryan?"

Ryan turned and looked me in the eyes "yes?"

"Whoever you marry is gonna be a very, very lucky women."

"Marrige isn't for me, but thank you"

The rest of the night Ryan and I just caught up on everything that has happened in the past few months. I can't wait to reconnect with Ryan and to finally see his band preform. I just hate that now I have to cancel all these wedding plans, but it's a small price to pay to have Kyle out of my life forever