Part 22 ~ Jealous?

Does she really think I'm that stupid? . . is she honestly expecting me to take that money and go out to buy tomatoes?? She wants me out of the house so she can talk to Chris! . . she is unbelievable. 

"Mom . . there is a whole bag of tomatoes on the kitchen table!"

"But I need more! . . now get your butt out of here and go to the store, honey!" What am I supposed to do? . . I don't wanna say no to my mother . . but I also don't wanna leave those two alone . . she will talk to him about it, I just know she will

"Mom . . I'm sure Chris wants to come with me, right Chris? . . come on let's go to the mall!"

"No, honey . . Chris is staying here, he's our guest! . . you will go to the store by yourself!" I grab her arm and walk out to the backyard with her with anger written all over me. "I know why you want me to go to the store, mom! . . you want me out of the house so you can talk to Chris!!!"

"That's not true, I want you to go the store because I need tomatoes for the salad!!"

"Oh . . for the salad?! . . didn't you say before that you needed them for SAUCE?!! just admit it!! . . you wanna talk to Chris about what I told you!! . . I told you everything in CONFIDENCE! you can't talk to him!"

She puts her arm around me and pulls me in for a hug. "Baby, you know how utterly cute I think it is that Chris is in love with you!! why are you so ashamed by it?. . it's ADORABLE!!"

"Adorable? . . mom, you have no idea what all of this is doing to our friendship! I don't find it adorable at all and it's not cute either, ok?! . . please, mom! promise me that you won't say a word to him!"

"Alright . . I promise"

"Good!"

Chris and I help mom clean up after dinner. 

"Mom . . we're upstairs playing video games!" 

____________________

Chris and I have been playing this game for over two hours now. I think this is the beginning of our new friendship. I love Chris so much . . as my best friend . . and I hope he can learn to love me the same way again . . . no feelings, no love, no tension . . just a normal tight friendship like we had before.

"Gosh, my back is killing me!" I get up and arch my back 

"Yea, you're right . . it's bad to sit on the floor for so long" Chris says, arching his back, too. We turn off the game and decide to watch TV on the bed.

"Want some chips?" I ask.

"Sure" I open the bag and hand it to him. Chris takes a handful and shoves it in his mouth. We're laying on the bed, eating potato chips next to each other. No one is really saying anything. I have to break the awkward silence.

"So . . how are things going, Chris?" 

He smiles, taking another handful out of the bag. "I'm actually feeling a lot better, Mike . . in the hospital I realized I was so dumb for doing what I did . . I was frustrated, you know? but I feel better now and I'm glad we're slowly becoming best friends again, Mike"

I reach into the bag and take a handful, too. "Are you sure you're ok with this? are you not mad at me still?" 

"Mike, I'm fine . . really . . you don't have to worry about me . . you and I are friends . . and I know that's all we're ever gonna be . . and I'm ok with that"