Chapter Twenty-Three

Chris

I tried ignoring the pain in my head and tried concentrating on staying awake. I don't know how long I have been staying here. Two to three days? To say the least.

Nonetheless, it has been quite tiring always getting punched and getting kicked. I tried to stay strong. I swear, if my parents don't come, I might just give in.

The only thing keeping me awake and strong is the locket. The locket. I have to know what it means. I have to know why Landon kept it all these years. I was barely awake as the doors creaked open and two men brought someone in and shove that person beside me. That person landed with a grunt.

"Hey, roomie." I greeted barely above a whisper. I chuckled but it came out as a cough.

"You're still as humorous as ever." the prisoner beside me said. It sounded like Landon... No. It can't be. Maybe I'm hallucinating.

Yeah. That could be it.

"God, I'm hallucinating. Can you believe that I thought you were a frenemy of mine?" I let out another wheezing chuckle.

"I missed you too, Chris." Okay, that is definitely Landon. I recognize his voice anywhere.

I turned my head and saw that he was already staring at me with those amazing green orbs. He had blood running down his nose and a cut on his lower lip.

"Well, what do you know. Two of the best agents of Secret Intelligence are here trapped together." I joked looking away.

Landon smirked and rested his back on the wall beside me. "We're not one of the best," he said.

"Says who?" I said weakly.

"I'm one of the best," he said, cockily.

I smacked him, more like tapped him because of my weak state. He laughed but it was low and sounded painful.

"What are you doing here, Landon?" I asked after a few minutes of silence.

"I promised I would protect you, remember?" he said.

"That was a long time ago," I said.

"Whatever. It was still a promise no matter what. Besides, after we survive this, we can go back to hating each other." he said.

But I don't want to hate you.

"Sounds like a plan. If we ever survive this." I said.

"I know we will. We'll survive anything and everything the world has to offer," he said.

I rested my head on his shoulder. "I hope so." With that, I fell asleep.

~ o ~

Landon

"I hope so." a moment after that, I felt her sleep on my shoulder.

I stared at an open space for a moment before I remembered why I was here.

My dad is going to kill me.

~ o ~           Flashback            ~ o ~

"I need to go help her. The more time we waste, the more they will torture her to death." I reasoned.

"No, Landon. Let us handle it." my father said.

"Let you handle it? What are you doing? You won't even let Jess track her." I growled.

"Landon, we'll handle it. Okay? Just stay put." he demanded and went back downstairs.

Marlie appeared and got out. She looked incredibly worried.

"Marlie, what are they doing downstairs? What's their plan?" I asked hurriedly.

She looked at me with a saddened expression. "They're... They're not going to do anything. They're not even going to try." she said tears brimming her eyes.

My heart almost stopped. "What are you talking about? What about Catherine? What does she say?" I asked almost yelling.

"She's accepted. It's too risky, Landon. They can't have that microchip." Marlie said.

"And what about Chris?!" I said to the point of yelling. "We can't just leave her there. She'll die!"

Marlie did nothing but shake her head, tears falling down her cheeks.

"No one can save her, Landon," she said.

I stopped pacing and stared at the floor. "You're wrong," I said quietly.

"What do you mean?"

"I can save her," I said.

"Landon... you can't. Your father said so," she said.

"It's like saying I can't read a damn book. I'm not going to just sit here knowing that I can save her, Marlie. I can and I will." I announced and left.

~ o ~           Flashback            ~ o ~

"I will," I whispered and drifted into unconsciousness.