Chapter Twenty-Five

Chris

It's been two weeks since the day I was kidnapped. Turns out my kidnappers got away as soon as they found out my parents were coming. And it's been two weeks since Landon and I talked. After that day, Landon chose to ignore me. Trust me, I tried to talk to him but he was smart enough to walk away.

So I proceeded with my normal and daily routine. As if nothing happened and pretended to be okay. I went back to work, I went back to school and I forgot everything bad. And as I sat on the bed, I thought of the locket. I absentmindedly started to play with it in my hands. I looked down at it and read the writing at the back.

To the girl I secretly love.

Secretly? Landon, what are you doing to me?

~ o ~

Landon

I'm stupid and I know that now. I avoided her like a coward. I was so close. So close to telling her. And here I am. Not having any guts to even look at her.

I miss her.

I miss our bickering, our stupid fights over little things, our messing with each other, her sarcastic remarks, her smile, her soft brown curls, her soft caramel skin... If I didn't come for her, we'd still be doing those things until now. But the weird thing is...

I don't regret coming for her.

I sighed and stared into space. I shouldn't have chickened out. It was stupid of me. Stupid. Very, very stupid.

~ o ~           Flashback            ~ o ~

There was a moment of silence between us and I was itching to hold her hand.

Just say it, jackass! Say it! Say that you like- I mean... love her. the little voice in my head said.

Right. This is the exact moment. This is the perfect moment. I should just do it!

"Chris, I-" the door banged open and revealed an officer from the agency.

And just like that, my opportunity was gone. Boom! Demolished. I'm a sucker for love.

I stared at her and just studied how beautiful she looked even with the cut on her lower lip and the grease on her face she still looked amazing. She looked back at me with her mesmerizing brown eyes and we stared at each other before she had to look away. I closed my eyes and tried not to think about any of this. But only her smile appeared.

~ o ~

A week after we were found, I tried to avoid her as much as I could. She even tried to approach me while I was in my locker. It was hard. She won't stop. She tried talking to me during class, she tried to approach me during lunch. I was stuck with Blair for the past two weeks.

My life is one piece of shit.

~ o ~           Flashback            ~ o ~

I sighed once again and covered my face with my hands.

"Hey, Landon. You've been sighing for what seems like the sixth time today. What's wrong?" Cole asked.

I actually forgot the boys were even here with me. We were at Safe Haven doing nothing and just hanging out.

"Nothing. Just tired." I lied.

"Bullshit, Landon. You've been staring into space for the past two weeks. What the hell is going on?" Blake snapped.

I sighed again.

"There you go again," Cole said.

"It's nothing. I'm just really tired. It's been tiring lately." I said with a shrug.

Cole approached me and sat across from me. "What's going on, Landon?" he asked in a deep voice.

And I knew there was no going out of this. "It's her."

"You mean... her?" He clarified.

"Yes... her." I said.

"I saw her yesterday. Dude, she's worse than you are right now," he said.

"What do you mean?"

"Why don't you see for yourself?" He said.

He was right...

~ o ~

Chris

"Enjoy your coffee," I said to the last customer as she got out of the glass doors.

I sighed and leaned on the counter. That's just about it for the day. I was too busy staring into open space that I didn't hear Marlie come up beside me. She stared at me with a frown.

"Hey, Chris. You feeling okay?" she asked and that's when I snapped out of it.

"What? Yeah. I'm fine. I'm great. Just... tired." I said.

Marlie eyed me looking unconvinced. "You know... You have been saying that for the past two weeks. And that's exactly what Landon said once when he was here with his friends." she explained and my ears perked up by the mention of Landon's name.

"They were here? When?" I asked almost immediately.

She smirked, knowingly. "Monday," she said with a knowing look.

My shoulders slumped. My shifts are on Tuesdays and Fridays... And Wednesday. Which is today... I sighed in defeat. Bad timing!

"Chris." I looked at Marlie. I can't believe I was tuning out again. "If this is about Landon... you have to tell me," she said gently.

"No. It's not. It's just... I haven't exactly gotten over the, uh... you know. Shock." I said. Please let her buy it...

"Chris, who are you kidding? You've been kidnapped at least more than ten times and I'm only counting for a week. You're seriously giving me that crap?" she snapped. Damn, she didn't buy it.

I sighed.

"And you have been sighing for at least ten times and I'm only talking about a day," she added. "Something happened in that room. During the time both of you got kidnapped," she said.

I looked at her. "I just found out Landon has some... feelings for me. And... I think I may be feeling the same." I mumbled and looked down. "He was about to say something but then... you guys came so... And until now, we still haven't talked," I added.

"No wonder you've been gloomy," she muttered.

"No shit," I said.

Then we heard some giggling at the side of the cafe. Marlie and I turned our heads to the source and found Jess and Lucas laughing together as if nothing happened.

"Well... at least one of us is happy," I muttered.

At least one of us is...