Chapter Twenty-One

Landon

"I don't get it. Why does Chris put this strong facade when clearly everybody sees right through it." I complained biting down my muffin.

Marlie smiled and chuckled to herself. "You kids have a lot to learn," she muttered almost to herself, but I still heard it.

I heard some shifting behind me and I looked back to see Jess stretching her limbs. "What time is it?" she asked staring into open space.

"7:00. You should better get home if you don't want to face your aunt's wrath." Marlie joked.

Jess nodded. "Yeah. I probably should. See you tomorrow, Marlie!" Jess said with a yawn.

"See you, Jess!" Marlie called back.

"Do girls always greet like that to each other?" I blurted out.

Marlie laughed. It was comforting. "Yes. We do." she sighed and stood up from her seat and stared at something. I followed her gaze and landed on someone; Chris.

"Can you take her upstairs?" Marlie asked, out of the blue.

"What do you mean?" I said looking back at her.

"I have an extra room upstairs... you know... so I don't have to go home. I live very far from here. And sometimes it's tiresome to drive so I sleep upstairs. Chris usually uses the room more than me. Usually when she and her mom would fight over something very stupid. But you know... Chris is Chris. She likes to do it her own way." Marlie explained.

I nodded the whole time. "So where is the room?"

"The last door to your left," she said and I nodded. "I'll start closing the cafe. Just lock the door on your way out," she added.

"Got it," I called out and stared at Chris for a moment before deciding that I should just carry her bridal style. And I did. She was lighter than I expected and as if she weighed nothing at all. We were so close that I could smell her scent.

Cinnamon?

She wrapped her arms around my neck and I carried her upstairs. When I reached the room Marlie instructed, I placed her down on the bed gently so she wouldn't be able to wake up. Almost instantly, as soon as her body felt the warmth of the comforter, she curled up in a ball inhaled, and slowly exhaling.

She looked like an angel... Absentmindedly, my hand started to caress her cheek. She must be really tired. Seeing as though she didn't wake up after I carried her up here.

I leaned down and whispered, "Good night, Chris." before kissing her forehead and left.

I think I'm high tonight. What was with those cupcakes?!

~ o ~

Chris

The moment he leaned down, it spread warmth all over my body. I didn't want him to leave. Not yet. I slowly opened my eyes the moment I heard the lock of the door click.

He kissed my forehead...

My heart was beating incredibly faster and I have no idea how to stop it or why it was beating like that in the first place.

It shouldn't be like this! I am not supposed to be feeling this weird thing especially if it's towards Landon. Not. Ever. Nuh-uh.

I sighed and sat up. I can't believe he actually carried me from downstairs. I thought we hated each other? Isn't that the reason why we were partners in the first place?