Chapter Sixteen

Chris

"Okay, so who exactly is this guy?" Landon asked.

Both of us turned to Lucas who was playing with his phone. When he felt our gaze he looked up from eating his donut.

"What?"

"Have you been listening at all?" Landon snapped. "Get to your damn computer and start typing."

"Okay! Fine! Fine! No need to be so demanding." Lucas said putting his hands up in surrender and started typing away in his computer.

"I just want this mission gotten over with." I heard Landon mutter.

The three of us were directly sent to the field to start the given assignment. We were behind a hotel and in a black van. We were pretty hidden if I do say so myself. Thanks to our meanie boss over here (I'm talking about Landon. Obviously.)

I was about to ask if anyone wanted a smoothie since there was a smoothie shop nearby and since we were going know where with our computer geek when Lucas exclaimed making both me and Landon jump in our seats.

"Aha! I know who he is!" Lucas said, staring at us while smiling victoriously.

"Well? Who is he?!" Landon demanded.

Lucas showed us his laptop and my eyes widened like saucers when I saw the picture and the name on the screen.

This can't be happening.

There, with big bold letters were the name of none other than the actual ninja agent (I just call it ninja agent to make it sound cooler and because I'm awesome).

A gasp escaped my lips and at the corner of my eye, I saw him in one of the screens of our computer thanks to our hidden camera. He was exiting the building. I immediately got out of the van and ran to him. When he turned back I was already throwing my fist in the air and it landed on his jaw. He fell to the ground with a groan.

"Ow! What the hell wo-" he stopped mid-sentence when he looked up. Surprised covered his entire features and then it turned to guilt. "Hey... sis."

I glared at my AWOL of a brother. "You are in so much trouble." I threatened.

~ o ~

"You wanted me to catch my own brother? What the hell is the matter with you?" I said to my mom.

"I'm sorry. It just had to be done," she said, casually.

"No. What could've been done, was to tell me that my brother wasn't really dead and that he was just lurking in the streets of California where I live," I said.

"You had to catch your brother. It was a test," she said.

"What test?" All of this is just so confusing.

"To see if you were ready to fight one of the best agents in the agency." my brother cut in from behind me.

My mother looked behind my shoulder and I turned around to see Caleb with his arms crossed. Caleb had dark brown hair like mine and he had blue eyes like my mother.

Technically, I got most of my features from my father. My dad had dark brown hair like mine and Caleb's and he had dark brown muddy eyes just like me. I always envied Caleb's and my mother's eyes. They were beautiful.

"Good to see you again, mother." he greeted.

"It's always a pleasure, Caleb." my mother greeted back.

"Mind telling me where dad is?" Caleb asked.

"No need. I'm right here." my dad chimed in, coming out of an unknown room.

"You have got to be kidding me," I muttered. "What is this? A sick old family reunion?" I asked rhetorically.

So many surprises. What's next? Landon proposing to me or something?

As if that would ever happen.

My dad and Caleb did those weird man hugs men do.

"Okay... So let me get this straight... I have a dad who just came back from the dead, a mother who has been keeping secrets from me. Like... a lot of secrets and a brother who finally decided to come out of the radar. Yeah. Sure. Definitely one big happy family." I said, sarcastically with a casual shrug.

"Look, Chris. I know this is a lot to take in-"

"Yeah. Your probably right." I cut my dad off.

"But we're willing to give you some time. However long it takes." Caleb said.

I looked at the three of them. "Alright. But before everything goes back to normal, which I highly doubt, I need to know what happened." I said after a long minute of silence.

So he told me everything. Caleb went off the radar after his first mission because he was afraid. He was afraid that he might hurt me. He didn't want me to know what he did. He didn't want me to know that my brother was a killer. That's why my mom sent him on a mission far far away from California as possible and told him to come back when he's ready. When he did, he came back to be a new man and all that bloody shit. After five years.

Five fucking years.

Yes. He made me wait that long. "Five years is a long wait," I said after what seemed like an hour of silence.

"Yeah, Caleb. Five years is a pretty long wait." my dad chided.

Caleb glared at him.

"So is my whole life." I spat, directing my attention to my dad. And Caleb smirked victoriously at my dad.

My dad returned it with a sheepish smile.

I sighed and thought about the whole thing. They did all those to protect me, to keep me safe. Yet, I still was very reckless. Besides, they were here now and I guess that's all that matters.

I clenched my jaw and sighed. "You know guys... it's fine. I get why you did it. It was to protect me. But if something like this ever happens again, I just hope you guys would tell me the truth. Especially, if it includes me. I hate not knowing." I said.

"You're right. We were wrong to keep it from you. Especially the thing about your dad." my mother chimed in.

"Okay. So it's settled. No more secrets." I announced and they all nodded.

I just hope this agreement would last at least a few months. Because knowing my parents and my brother, they hate agreeing to these kinds of things.

Good luck to me.