Chapter Twelve

Chris

Why in the world is this even happening to me? What did I ever do to the universe that they had to punish me like this? It's not like I murdered someone... Okay, maybe I have but these people definitely deserved it! I mean they were criminals for fucks sake.

Okay, I admit. I'm overreacting. Just because my dad is coming to my mission doesn't mean I should overreact like this, right?

Right... deep breaths, Chris. Deep breaths. You'll get through this. You always do. You've had worse, haven't you? Of course, you have. You can do this, Chris. You can do thi-

"Chris, we have to go."

"Oh, shit. I can't do this." I muttered and started hyperventilating. I dropped to the floor and leaned my head to the door.

What are you doing, Chris? It's only your dad...

Only my dad?

That doesn't sound right. Another knock came on the door. This time it sounded louder and more annoyed.

"Chris, come on. We have to go."

Ugh. Stupid, Jones. Can you just leave me alone?!

I rubbed my temples, furiously and brought my knees to my chest. The last time I felt like this was when my mom sent me on my first mission. And it was actually in this bathroom.

Ha... How ironic.

"Chris, if you don't open the door, I'm going to kick this open." Landon threatened. That's not going to work on me. More banging came and it was starting to get annoyed.

I stood up and swung the door open and came face to face with a very angry-looking Landon.

"You know, if you're just wasting my time then you better not be my partner." he snapped.

What I felt inside was unexplainable. I was angry, tired, confused, annoyed, and... well... sad. I took a deep breath trying to keep it all in before walking away.

~ o ~

"Okay, this is what's going to happen. Landon, you're going to go inside and check out what The Master is planning. Chris, your staying here in the van with me," my dad instructed.

"Wait, what? How come Landon gets to do all the fun?" I cut in.

"Because you don't take anything seriously, that's what." Landon deadpanned and I was this close to sticking my knife in his throat but instead of doing that, I glared at him.

My dad sighed. "We have a lot to talk about, Chris," he said.

I groaned in frustration.

Just great...

~ o ~

I was monitoring the happenings inside the hotel when my dad cleared his throat. I barely even glanced at him before returning to my game of Temple Run.

I happen to love this game.

"Chris, we need to talk," he said his voice calm but trembling.

I glanced at the screen and found Landon flirting with a lady at the bar. I scrunched my face in disgust.

Ew. Who'd fall for that face?

My father seemed to notice since he glanced between the monitor and me. "So, Landon. You like him, huh?"

I snorted. "As if. He," I pointed at Landon's face. "is not my type. He's disgusting." I said.

My father gave me an amused look in which I returned with a frown. We had a staring contest before my gaze went back to the screen.

I sat up straight and saw Landon talking to the man. Or master. Whatever. I started typing away. Dad saw what I was so cautious about and started going to the microphone and ordered some instructions to Landon which will be heard from his earpiece. I put Landon's microphone on speaker and listened.

"Who are you?" Teddy asked.

"That depends. Can I trust you?" Landon shot back. Wow, I have to admit, he is pretty good at this.

"I'm not gonna ask again. Who. Are. You?" Teddy bit back with a threatening tone.

Landon didn't look afraid at all. He looked calm and collected. Yup. Definitely a Man of Steel.

For the first time tonight, Landon smirked. "I'm Superman. You must be Lex Luther." Landon said sarcastically.

Teddy seemed annoyed and pulled out something from behind him. It was a gun. He pointed it directly at Landon's head. At that moment, my heart nearly jumped off my chest.

What the hell is Landon doing? I thought he knows how to handle these kinds of situations!

"We have to get to him. He needs our help." I said not taking my eyes off the screen.

"Calm down, Chris. Landon knows what he's doing." my father reassured me, patting my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm gonna kill you if you don't answer my question. Who are you? CIA? NSA? What? Answer me!" Teddy threatened once more.

Before Teddy can say anything else, Landon punched Teddy square in the jaw that sent Teddy's gun flying off the other side of the room. Even I yelped in my seat.

Whoa.

The fighting continued with Teddy throwing lame punches on Landon, Landon ignoring the punch and kicking Teddy in the stomach, Teddy charging at Landon and Landon getting hit... and maybe me laughing at his face, and ended with Landon kicking Teddy's... thing and Teddy getting caught.

All in all, it was... good.

You can describe that right? You can... say "good" after a fight, right? I mean-

The door slid open and revealed a very bloody-looking Teddy and Landon. With Landon holding Teddy's arms behind his back.

Okay. I admit. Landon is a... good agent. But he doesn't need to know that.

"Well done, Landon. Mission accomplished." my dad said.

Landon gave me a smirk in which I returned with a glare.

Ugh. Show off.