Chapter Nine

A/N: this part of the chapter is when Landon "tried" to stop Chris from attacking the three boys who kidnapped Blair.

So, enjoy! :)

~ o ~

Landon

She left and I sat there looking stupid.

"Chris! Come back here!" I whisper-yelled at her but she didn't listen.

I groaned and ran a hand through my hair.

"No wonder she needs a damn partner," I muttered and started loading and preparing the guns.

What should I use? Shotgun? No... Too big. Machine gun? No... very big.

I decided to choose a normal-looking gun. It's just Chris anyway...

Just Chris?

When I stepped into the hallway, she was... talking to them?

I aimed the gun at the wall and pulled the trigger and it made three of the guys jump but Chris didn't seem to notice. Instead, when she turned around, she looked pissed.

"Your aiming is bull." she deadpanned.

To say I was pissed would be an understatement. I was furious. How dare she?!

"What the hell is the matter with you?!" I snapped.

"What? I was just getting the job done!" she snapped back.

"Yes. By risking your life!" I scolded.

"What risking my life? These goons can't even fire a gun even if their life depended on it!" she stopped. "Literally."

"But still! I am your partner and I still get to have a say on what happens on these missions." I demanded.

"I didn't ask you to be my partner." she snapped with a glare.

The nerve...

"Well, then you're going to have to live with it! I know you hate it too because trust me, I don't want to do this either. I'd rather fly solo." I said.

I heard her mutter, "No wonder you don't have a girlfriend." But chose to ignore it.

"But my father and your mother are trying something ridiculous and until I find out what it is, I'm just going to have to do this. Even if it's against my will." I said.

She glared and I scowled. This happened for about a few minutes or so. None of us were planning to stop until someone cleared his throat and we both snapped out of it.

Then the questioning began.

~ o ~

I sighed and leaned back in my chair.

It's been a tiring day for all of us. Not only for me but for Chris as well. She was currently passed out in the living room. I could hear her faint snores from the kitchen. After the mission, Catherine called us back to her place and told us that she'd take care of the questioning, and ordered us to start digging about The Master.

Whatever that meant.

I took over the kitchen while Chris invaded the living room. After that, we stayed as far away from each other as possible. I stood up from my seat in the kitchen and was about to leave when I saw her iPad wide open.

Turns out she wasn't digging information after all. But instead, she was playing Temple Run.

Son of a...

I sighed and went over to her place to close her iPad. The moment I was about to leave again, I saw a paper on top of the coffee table. It was a picture of the three boys talking to someone. A man in his late thirties was turning his back from the camera.

Why didn't she tell me about this?

I was about to pick it up when she stirred from her position on the couch. I froze. Now, her back was facing me. Thank goodness. I slowly picked the picture up and surveyed it.

Where did she get this?

Something beeped and I realized it was her iPad. I opened it and saw that she had an email notification from Marlie. Marlie... I think that's one of her friends... Wait... Isn't Marlie an agent as well?

Right...

She had one mission with me and damn, she was good. She had some mad agent skills and she defused a bomb once. See?

Genius.

I opened the email and found more pictures of the three goons. Goons? What the fuck, Landon? There was a letter below the pictures.

Chris,

Here are the photos you asked for. Unfortunately, that was all I could find. This conversation happened a few days ago or something. Right before "Blaire" was captured.

I didn't get to I.D. the person because of your mom. She gave me a mission right after you texted me.

I also didn't get to know what their conversation was about. It's probably about Blaire. Ugh.

Anyways... I have to go. I am currently using a cheap computer in a cheap cafe. Why? Because one of Landon's friends "accidentally" spilled coffee all over my laptop.

See you. And tell me all about how this mission of yours goes. And Jess tracked one of the goons' phones and the signal was last seen at Jaquelin Bay.

Your lovely cousin,
Marlie.

P.S.: You were right about coffee being one of the main reasons why humans don't have laptops.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement at the moment. Did she go ahead with the mission without telling me? Why would she do that?!

And... and she found out all about this in one night?

Unbelievable...