Chapter Seven

Chris

After spending a few days in the hospital, I finally got out and escaped from my misery. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's better than school but still. I mean who could live a few more days in a room that smells like medicine and blood?

Trust me, I have spent enough time in the hospital to know what it smells like.

So, here I was. Back in school with Jess seated beside me burying her nose in her laptop.

That was when the cafeteria door opened and in came Landon and his gang along with their perfect faces. Well, maybe except for one.

Blake looked terrible. He had a bruise on his cheek, a cut on his lower lip, a huge black eye, and his knuckles were red. I stared at them for about a minute or two until Jess saw me. She followed my gaze and when she saw what I was looking at, she gasped.

"What happened?" she said and looked at me.

"Good question," I answered.

~ o ~

"Kids, there are many things people need to know about time. Time is not only important but also precious. It is where..." I tuned out after that.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair. I don't feel like playing games today. But even if I haven't done anything bad, people (especially teachers) still gave me cautious glances and I would just wink at them or nod at them.

I love being me.

When the bell rang, I rushed out of the room and went straight to my locker.

I think I should just skip school today, I thought.

My phone rang and I fished it out. "Hello?"

"Mission. Now." my mom said and hung up.

Yup. Totally skipping classes.

~ o ~

"What am I doing here?" I asked once I saw Landon and another girl on the couch with my mom.

The girl was crying and my mom was rubbing the girl's shoulders. What the hell is going on here?

"Chris, this is Blaire Williams. She was reported missing by her parents a few days ago. They're on their way here now. We need you, both of you," she gestured to Landon and me. "To find her kidnapper," she explained.

"How did you find her?" I asked.

"Landon found her on his way home from Blake's," she said.

From Blake's? 

"Oh, okay. When... exactly?" I asked.

"Just earlier today," she said.

"Do we know anything else?" I asked but when no one answered I sighed and said, "Okay. Okay, fine. I'm-We're on it."

"Great. We're going to the facility and meet her parents there. Meet us there if you need anything." she said and left.

I stared at the door for a few minutes until I heard some shuffling. When I turned around I saw Landon handing me a gun.

"Thanks," I said, accepting it.

"That was the first," he muttered.

"No, really. I know it was you that night." I said. "So, thank you," I added.

He stared at me, unconvinced. "What, no games today?" he said.

I rolled my eyes. "No. Only a mission. How about that?" I said with a raised eyebrow.

"Good point."

Let the fun begin.