Chapter Two

Landon

My alarm went off signaling that it was time to get my ass off the bed... But I chose to ignore it.

Why? Because I was tired as hell. Yesterday, my father sent me on a mission to stop this drug dealer. I was up all night only to find him dead, only to find out he was shot in the forehead but luckily we caught the suspect.

And besides, today is a damn Saturday. What's the big deal?

You have training, that's what, the little voice at the back of my head answered for me.

Ugh. I hate being an agent. At least the training part. I mean, why train when you already know half of what they're about to teach you?

I was ready to drift off to sleep again when my door banged open and in came my five-year-old brother Maxon.

I buried my head under my pillow the moment he started hitting me with his teddy bear.

"Landon! Landon! Wake up! Wake up!" he yelled into my ear. Which was covered with the pillow but damn, this boy had some lungs. It still hurt my eardrums.

"Come on, Landon! Dad needs you! He's angry." Max said still hitting me with the stupid little bear.

"Let him be angry," I mumbled under my breath.

"Come on, Landon! Daddy said he won't let me play if you don't get up!" Max yelled again.

There he goes again. I hate it when he lets Maxon suffer because of me. It's completely unfair. The kid doesn't have to suffer because of me.

So instead of complaining, I hastily got up and walked towards the bathroom mumbling, "Five minutes." and closed the door.

~ o ~

Chris

I slowly closed our front door and tiptoed to the sidewalk. We wouldn't want my mom to hear me come out of the house, right? Not when she so clearly declared yesterday that she'd continue her "lecture" tomorrow.

We wouldn't want that.

Chris: 2 Mom: 0

Cue: the evil laugh.

I searched my bag for my phone while walking. I was so caught up looking for my phone that I didn't notice the little kid walking by and I bumped into him. He looked as if he was about to fall down, luckily I caught him just in time by grabbing his wrist and pulling him to me.

"Whoa, kid. You alright?" I looked down at him when his arms circled my waist.

He beamed at me, his green eyes shining. "Yes. I'm okay."

They were quite familiar...

"Good," I said, slowly peeling his arms off my waist. "Where'd you come from, anyway?" I asked.

He pointed to a street and I directly recognize it as my own. So, this kid is my neighbor?

"Right. So, you mean you crossed the street all by yourself?" I asked, disbelief evident in my tone as I crossed my arms.

He shook his little head and was about to say something when a voice cut him off. "Hey, Max! Can you wait up?"

I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

I turned my head only to come face to face with Mr. Landon Jones. What is with me and the Jones always bumping into each other?!

Surprise covered his features when he spotted me and his brother. Then it clicked; the green eyes the kid had were similar to Landon's.

Brothers, I guess.

I cleared my throat and took one step away from the little boy. Landon's surprised face turned into an intense scowl. Which was directed to me.

"What were you doing with my brother?" See? I knew it. I'm a genius. "Hey, answer me."

I snapped back to reality. "Nothing, actually. We bumped into each other and I just saved him from falling down," I said with a shrug.

"Like I'm supposed to believe that," he spat his scowl turning into a glare.

"Believe whatever you want. Because that's the truth. Right, kid?" I asked turning to the kid with a smile. And he nodded beaming at me. "See? A kid never lies." I added.

Landon glared at me for a moment. Before grabbing his brother and left.

Okay...

~ o ~

"Hey, Marlie!" I greeted when I entered the cafe.

"Hey, Chris." she greeted back with a smile. "Any missions so far?" she lowered down her voice the moment I approached the counter.

"Um, no. They're assigning me a partner. Hopefully, she'll be helpful." I said with an eye roll.

"Well, you can't really blame your mother. I mean, she's just afraid you might get hurt. On your own." she said.

Marlie is my twenty-year-old cousin. She runs this cafe called Safe Haven and it is quite popular around town. And she so happens to be an agent.

"What? Only because I get shot a couple of times doesn't mean I need a partner." I complained.

"Yes, but an agent shouldn't get shot at all." Marlie clarified.

"But other agents do," I mumbled.

"Yeah. Professional agents," she said emphasizing the word "professional".

"But their agents nonetheless." I insisted with a smirk.

"Yes. And remember that mission you went to in Italy where you almost let the culprit escape. Because you were too busy food tasting?" she pointed out.

"It's Italy. Who could resist their pasta?" I said dreamily, thinking about the Italian food.

"But still! You almost let the culprit get away not to mention you almost blew your cover," she said.

I sighed. "Fine. I know I'm not exactly 'the best. But I still did most of my missions on my own and still survived. What's the big deal?"

"The big deal is, you might get killed or hurt. You know your mother loves you and she just wants you to be safe." Marlie said, her voice soft.

"Then she shouldn't have introduced me into this life."

"Hey, you're the one who found out." she snapped.

"I know," I said, smiling proudly.

She rolled her eyes. "The usual?"

"Yup!" I said.

She started making my caramel latte and I took a seat at one of the booths and waited. My phone rang and I made a face when I saw the caller.

Mom.

I took a deep breath before answering. "Hello?"

"You have a mission. And don't be late this time," she warned and hung up.

Gee... Thanks, mom.