Lucas

AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE VERY END. PLEASE READ IT BECAUSE I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT IT.

Now... continue.

~ o ~

Lucas

My father has been missing for a few years now. I still wake up screaming in the middle of the night, remembering his promise to me.

I'll be home for dinner. I promise.

But he didn't. That's what made me so angry. I waited for him for days. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months. And months turned to years. He's been gone for five years. Five torturous years of searching for him and siding with the bad guys. I kept telling myself that I was over it, but I knew deep inside that that was a lie.

A big fat lie.

"Hey, Luke. You okay?" My eyes snapped to meet a pair of green eyes.

After all this time, I still couldn't believe Jess was my girlfriend. She was the most beautiful person I'd ever met. The most humble. Unlike her best friend, Chris (don't tell her I said that or else, she'll have my head). Seriously. How did those two meet, anyway?

Pushing the question away, I gave her a smile. "Yeah. I'm fine, babe. Just thinking." I said and I heard a disgusted sound from across me.

Chris was sitting in front of us with a disgusted look on her face. I forgot she was even there. "Ew. Can you guys get anymore cheesier?" she snapped with a roll of her eyes.

I smirked. And just to tease her, I pulled Jess closer and kissed her, roughly. I heard another disgusted groan. "You guys disgust me." She said and left.

I pulled away and laughed while Jess just blushed. She looked so adorable, I almost kissed her again.

She playfully smacked my arm. "You didn't have to do that," she mumbled.

"Of course I did," I said.

She rolled her eyes at me and then frowned. I knew she was thinking about her friend who just left. Her father died right in front of her and she couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't imagine what she must've been through. At least mine is missing... probably dead, probably not. I shook my head and focused on where Chris had stalked off to.

For the past few weeks, Landon, her boyfriend, told me all she did was sulk. But after their trip to Hollywood Hill, she finally decided to come out of her little black hole.

I placed my index finger under Jess's chin and tilted her head up so she was looking at me. "She'll be fine. She's doing good so far. She's back to her old witty and annoying self. That's a good sign, right?" I said with a smile.

She returned it with one of her own. "I guess so," she mumbled, then there was silence between us. She was about to say something when my phone rang. I took it out of my pocket and checked the caller's I.D.

Marlie

What did she want?

My hands were shaking when I pressed the green button. "Hello?"

"You have to see this."

~ o ~

We were back at our secret hide-out. Or as Chris liked to call it, The Greenhouse. We were all gathered around the flat table-like computer and looked expectantly at Marlie.

Chris looked like she couldn't care less, Landon looked dead serious and I was shaking. What was this about that even Caleb had to be here? He was leaning on a door frame with his arms crossed over his chest.