Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Gabrielle’s POV

Once I had seen my dad walking up the driveway, I quickly went back to the kitchen to sit down and pretend I’m doing my work. I don’t want him to think that I’ve just been sitting outside the window waiting for him to return. Plus he’ll want to see that I’ve been working on my schoolwork and getting that done so I’ll have more time for skating and not have to worry about homework.

As I was closing my science textbook, I heard keys unlocking the door from the other side, and then a few seconds later; I heard the door being opened. He closed it, and then I heard his footsteps coming closer and closer to the kitchen where I was.

“Hey dad,” I said happily once he came into the kitchen.

“Hey Gabi,” he said as he opened the fridge in search for something to eat.

“There’s some left over pasta at the top of the fridge if you want that,” I told him as he had continued to look for something that looked good to eat.

He looked up at the top shelf and nodded to himself once he saw the small glass bowl with foil over it that contained the spaghetti that we had last night.

“Getting some homework done?” he asked me as he grabbed took the foil off the top of the bowl and threw it away.

“Yeah, I just finished my science work,” I told him.

“Excellent,” he said,

“What else do you have left?” he asked me.

“Um, math and social studies,” I told him as I looked at my computer to make sure I was right.

“Okay, how are you doing on those?” he asked.

“I haven’t really started,” I informed him.

He just nodded as he placed the bowl of pasta into the microwave and pressed the buttons for how many seconds he wanted it in there.

“I was wondering if you could help me with some of my math,” I stated to him more than asked him.

He sighed, “What do you need help with?” he asked.

“Well I haven’t looked at the questions so I don’t really know yet. It’s just easier doing it when you help me with some of it,” I told him.

“I’d love to help you Gabi, I really would, but I have some homework of my own,” he told me and motioned to the briefcase that he had sat on the counter.

“I have a lot of paperwork that the office needs me to look through,” he told me.

“Oh, okay,” I said,

“Do you want to do it down here so you can at least spend some time with me?” I offered, trying not to make the last part sound too harsh.

“Come on Gabi, we still spend time together,” he said, obviously sensing the harshness I had wanted to hide from my voice.

“Yeah, I guess,” I shrugged, trying just to agree with him so he would just drop the subject.

Luckily before he could say anything else of the topic, the microwave started alarming, signaling that the food was done. My dad opened the microwave and quickly took out the bowl with a paper towel between his hand and the bowl since it was hot. After he took another bowl out of the cabinet, and grabbed a fork from the drawer, he began to speak again.

“Normally I would do my work down here with you, but I had a long day and I’m really, very tired so I’m just going to look over the work in my room and then probably head to sleep once I finish this pasta,” he told me.