Chapter 14

It’s been two months since the wedding was supposed to be.  “Katherine,” Zachary whispered “Time to wake up.” Katherine groaned and pulled the covers over her head, ignoring Zachary, forcing him to pull her out of the bed. She yelped as she found herself found herself in his arms. “Why do I have to get up so early?” He glared at her and finally answered,” Because I need to teach you how to sword fight, shoot an arrow and defend yourself so if I’m not here you can protect yourself.”

  Katherine scoffed and folded her arms saying,” I don’t need you to save me.” “Oh really,” he said sarcastically. “Really,” she said boldly. Zachary rolled his eyes and said,” Stop fooling around. I am really going to teach you how to use a sword.” Katherine gave in mostly because she didn’t want to argue first thing in the morning.

  “Ok fine,” she said sulkily. Zachary put her down gently on the deck and showed her how to hold the sword and then let her try but every attempt was an epic fail. He showed her twenty-nine times had been doing this for the past hour but she still did not get it. “Okay,” he said sounding a little frustrated “Um………um-““I’m sorry,” she apologized looking down “Maybe you should just forget teaching me.” She was about to leave when Zachary grabbed her arm.  He placed both arms around her and placed both of his feet between hers. He gently held her wrist, almost holding her hand itself, helping her lift the sword. “Just relax and focus,” he whispered letting go “There we go. Okay now come at me” Zachary was a pretty good swordsman. After all, he was a pirate.

Katherine didn’t hesitate a bit and quickly advanced on him. From three months ago, she found herself to be quite different but not completely. Tears did not come easily, she wasn’t stuck up and she found herself smiling and having more fun. Maybe remaining with Zachary was good after all. “Wow pretty good for your first time,” he commented smiling. Katherine blushed and stated, “A student is good when the teacher is best.” “I sense someone likes me,” he teased. “In your dreams, fire eyes,” she said smiling.

  Out of nowhere, Zachary tackled her to the floor, wrestling with her, trying to pin her down. Katherine gave her best shot but he won in the end anyways. They were both face to face, noses touching. With each breath, she felt as if time was frozen and the world stopped spinning. He felt as if each heartbeat brought them closer and closer as if they were being fused into one. Katherine wondered what this feeling was. Why did it make her heart flutter? Did she love him or was she too stubborn to admit it?

  Every second that passed made her went to remain longer. His arms wrapped around her and her arms curled around his neck. Zachary gently brushed his lips against her leaving her thinking if she should kiss him back or not. Closing her eyes, she was about to kiss him back when she heard a voice say “Katherine.” It was a deep but gentle tone. It was a voice she hadn’t hear in months. A voice belonging to someone she missed dearly.

  She gently pushed Zachary off, getting up and found herself staring at a familiar crystal clear face with chocolate brown eyes and dirty blonde hair. Oh, how she was happy to see him. Words could not describe how much she missed him.

  “Arthur, what are you doing here?” she questioned softly. “I was about to ask you the same thing, poppet,” he responded happy to see her safe.