Chapter 9

For the rest of the day, Katherine never said another word to Zachary. She just stayed in the captain’s cabin doing not a thing. That evening, during dinnertime, Katherine just sat there, not paying attention to what Zachary was saying. “Katherine,” he said softly “ Are you okay, love?” “Yeah, I’m here,” she murmured. There was moment of awkward silence until Zachary got up from his seat and said,” There’s no need to be worried. I promised you he wouldn’t be hurt and I won’t break my promise.

  Katherine remained silent and refused to make eye contact with Zachary. He stooped near her and gently grasped her chin whispering,” Please trust me.” Katherine shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she wanted him to stop touching her. She immediately held his wrist and motioned that she wanted him to stop touching her.

  He received the message and got up and walked towards the bed, pulling his shirt over his head, revealing his abs, muscles and silver scars laces upon his chest. “Where am I to sleep?” she questioned trying to ignore the fact that  Zachary was shirtless. “Right here,” he said patting the bed as he sat down on it. “And you?” she asked puzzled “ Where will you sleep if I’ll be sleeping on your bed?” he chuckled and responded,” I’ll be sleeping on this very bed, next to you, my dear Katherine.”

   Katherine’s face was tainted red but she tried to hide hid for she didn’t want Zachary to know she was blushing. She tried not to imagine what would happen, late, in the middle of night, sleeping next to a pirate but her temptations was getting the better of her. She didn’t want to admit it but he was actually better looking than Oliver. “What am I to wear?” she asked quickly trying to stray from her thoughts. Crain got up and threw her one of his shirts from a trunk. “There you go,” he said happily. She held the shirt in front of her and there was a moment of silence for quite some time. She kept staring at Zachary until he finally questioned, ”What?” “ Um,” she responded “ I need to change.” “And?” he asked puzzled. “Um, can you please give me privacy to do so?” she asked softly trying not to anger him. “You can change here,” he said flatly. “You mean in front of you?” she inquired “Yes,” he answered “As I said before, I won’t bite.”

  Katherine was reluctant but she decided to trust him. Besides if she argued, the result would be the same none the less. She closed her eyes while she did so because she thought it wouldn’t be as bad. While changing, she had trouble. She couldn’t untie the corset. She had never tied or loosened a corset before. Usually, Luna did this for her. Suddenly, she felt the piece of clothing slip off with ease. When she opened her eyes, she was face to face with Zachary, realizing that he had helped her difficult task and she thought that he done that rather fast.

 “Oh dear,” he said as a frown crept between his brows. “Sometimes I wonder about the things women do to look beautiful but it only causes them pain. Look at all the marks that bloody garment left,” he said trailing his hands along her curves. Katherine was frozen. She didn’t know if to stop him and slap him for touching her or to allow him to continue. Before she knew it, the shirt was over her head and she was wearing it.

   “I never want you to wear such a horrid thing again,” he whispered caressing her. She nodded and said nothing. She was still stunned about what just happened. She didn’t want to sleep next to Zachary but she had no choice. She tried to clear her head but her temptations were strong.

  Zachary laid in the bed before her while she was brushing her hair. She laid quietly on the very edge of the bed while he was in the centre. Smirking, Zachary pulled her closer to him, wrapping her in his arms while she yelped in surprise. Her warm back gently collided with his cold chest.

   He slowly began stroking her hair and this action made her feel sleepier and sleepier. “ Good night, my love,” he whispered to her ear while her eyelids pleasantly shut as she slipped into peaceful slumber. She could’ve remained eternity in his arms.