Chapter 11

It’s been three weeks since Katherine agreed to be Zachary’s mistress. Also, it’s been three weeks since Zachary’s men were sent to return Oliver safely to Capulet. Katherine was on the deck. She had been staring at the dark blue waters for the past two hours. She was worried about Oliver. She wondered if Zachary kept his promise or if he just played her.

   Kathrine felt as if her heart was in her hands the minute she felt a hand on her shoulder. When she turned around, she saw Zachary standing directly behind her. Oh, how she wished it was Oliver. She wished she had remained in Celestyna when Oliver was coming out to sea. Maybe if she hadn’t been so stubborn and persistent, all this wouldn’t have happened. She shouldn’t have begged him and wore him down. Maybe she should have listened to Elliot. He was right but it was too late now. Oh how she wished she could’ve been her brothers right now especially Elliot.

    She wanted to hug him and tell him he was right and she was sorry. She missed everyone, her parents, Oliver, Logan, Arthur and Elliot. “I just heard from my men,” said Zachary interrupting her thoughts. “Oliver has been returned safely. There’s no need to worry anymore.” Katherine gave a half-hearted smile and returned to her thoughts once again.

 Zachary noticed something was wrong and he gently caressed her. “Is something wrong, love?” he asked softly “Hmm?” she answered “Yeah, everything’s fine.” She was about to walk away when Zachary grabbed her hand.

   “Don’t lie to me, Katherine,” he said in a deadly yet soothing voice. “I know something’s wrong. She sighed and said,” Ol-Zachary just leave me alone.” “So that’s what wrong,” he said releasing her hand. “What do you mean by that?” she questioned a little hurt. “Nothing just forget about it,” he murmured. He was about to leave when she stopped him. “Please tell me what you meant,” she whispered.

   “Why are you so hung up on him still?” he asked glaring into her eyes. Katherine tried to break contact and leave but Zachary held her waist and pulled her close to him before she could. “Why are you so upset that he’s not here?” he continued. She remained silent and never answered any of his questions. He pulled her so close that her heart skipped a beat. “He never even-“ “Because I love him, Zachary,” mumbled Katherine.

  His happy, bright, fiery eyes were replaced with sad and sorrowful ones. “Our wedding’s a week from now and I need to keep my promise.” “I’m sorry Kathrine but please don’t hate me for saying this ,” stated Zachary “You need to forget about Oliver,” he stated boldly. She immediately broke herself out of his grip upon hearing his comment. “Why should I?” she questioned angrily. “Because he doesn’t care about you,” he answered. Katherine tried to storm off but Zachary stopped her before she could. “Think about it,” he continued “If he was really a man and cared about you, he would’ve saved you no matter what. Even if it means risking his own life.”

    Katherine was mad as hell and she ignored every one of his statements. “Say what you want, Zachary,” she said annoyed “But I won’t believe it” He sighed and said,” Fine but at least promise me one thing. Promise me that you’ll get rid of your ring.” Her eyes widened and she asked,” Why?” “Because,” he responded “ You promised to be my mistress and I’ll have no lover of mine wear something that shows affection of another to her.” Katherine’s eyes became sorrowful and glassy.

 “Zachary,” she whispered holding the ring. “This ring means something to me and I swore to always keep it.” “I don’t care,” he said with his voice raised “As I said before, I won’t accept or tolerate anything of a sort.” After that he left saying,” By the end of the day, that ring better not be found neither on your finger nor anywhere on this ship.”

   Katherine had no idea how she was going to do this but she had to. Zachary was serious and she didn’t want to upset him anymore than she already had already done. She slowly walked up to the very edge of the ship and extended her hand in which the ring was in and held it over the waters, looking at the precious, silver one last time before she was to drop it.

  Taking a deep breath, she released the ring letting it slipped between her fingers, watching it fall into the deep crystal blue waters, with tears streaming down her cheeks as the jewel sank to the bottom.

   I’m sorry.