chapter one

_______________________

I brought you into my life,

absorbed your poison,

and called it love.

_______________________

CHAPTER 1

edited.

{Brooklyn's P.O.V}

I woke up to the sunlight streaming through the cheap plastic blinds, right onto my face. I groaned, shifting over a bit, my hands lazily covering my pale skin. I sat up, and stood off the couch, stretching. I winced as I heard a few of my bones crackle. I sighed, shifting my neck from side to side to try to relieve the cramps. I walked into the kitchen silently, trying not to wake Blake up. I opened up my phone and saw that I had a text from my uncle, Simon.

Simon Cowell, actually. He was fairly famous for his record company, and judging on singing competitions. He was also the only family that I was still in contact with. He meant the world to me.

Suddenly I heard a loud bang, and my head snapped up to find the source of the noise. I saw Blake hunched up at the bottom of the stairs.
I heard Blake groan "I'm okay....".

My eyes widened and I rushed towards the stairs "Oh my gosh, are you okay?!" I asked.

"Will you shut the hell up?!" He hissed. I winced at his harsh tone and cowered down, "Sorry...." I whispered quietly, almost immediately cringing at my own weakness. He just glared at me, and shoved past me into the kitchen. I stood there and swallowed my hurt, hesitantly walking into the behind him. Blake was sitting on the table, holding his head in his hands.

His head snapped up when he heard me walking into the kitchen. His one mesmerizing blue eyes were bloodshot, signifying that he was hungover. His eyes glanced up towards the clock and widened.
"Why the hell didn't you wake me up?!" He roared into my face, the stench of alcohol making me step back.
I looked down and didn't say anything for a moment. He gripped my arm harshly, and I bit my lip to keep from crying out in pain, my arm was surely going to be bruised after this. "I- I... I just woke up... I w-would've woken you up if I was awake..." I murmured.
He looked at me with pure disappointment, a look that made me want to crawl into a corner.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Why can't you do anything right? I swear, you're worthless, you know that right? " he screamed at me. His words made my heart pinch and my eyes slowly started to burn, the tears of shame and hurt abruptly falling down my face. He harshly shoved me against the wall, making me whimper. "Shut up!" He menacingly whispered, slapping me. I took in a sharp breath, my cheek burning from the sudden impact. I moved the hair out of my face and slowly looked back up towards him.
The hurt and humiliation were fighting over each other in my mind right now.

He kneed my stomach, making me bend over and groan in pain. I took in shallow breaths, biting my knuckles as an attempt to stay as quiet as I could.
He walked away, only turning around to say "I swear if I'm late to work, then tonight you're going to get it."
My eyes widened and I blinked back tears. I took a step forward, and winced, as my stomach still hurt. I leaned back against the rough wall, and slowly took a deep breath. I needed to calm down. The pain was bad, but I knew if I cried it would only make matters worse. I breathed in and out, and in a few minutes I had calmed myself down. I was used to this by now. A tragic statement, but true.

I was snapped out of my thoughts, by my buzzing phone. I looked down and Uncle Simons name flashed across the screen, letting me know he was calling. I picked up, shaking any sadness from my voice.

"Uncle Simon" I greeted cheerfully, mentally hating myself for being this fake to the only person here for me.
"Brooklyn!!! How's my favorite girl doing?" He asked.
I giggled lightly, although Simon seemed all tough with his monotone voice and straight face, he was quite the softy.

"I'm doing fine" I lied. Of course I wasn't doing fine, but Uncle Simon had other things to worry about.
"Oh that's great. So sweetie, do you have work today?" He questioned.

"Um I have the evening shift. Why?" I asked.

"Well, you know it's been 3 years since I've signed them and you've never even met them, and they're staying here in town for a few weeks, and well I was wondering if you could show them around and keep them company, if it's not too much to ask" Uncle Si rambled on.
My eyebrows were furrowed as he continued on.
I chuckled and then said "Uncle Si, who exactly is the 'them' that you're referring to?" I asked a bit confused.
"Oh! Sorry!" He laughed. "I was talking about One Direction of course!!!" He said.
Oh, so that's who he was talking about. Hmm.... He was right, I never met them. I gulped, knowing Blake wouldn't love the idea of me spending my time with 5 guys. Then again, I would only be showing them around town, and that wouldn't exactly take too long.

"Sure, I'll be there in an hour or so" I said anyway.
I couldn't just let Uncle Simon down.
"Great!!! See you then darling" he said, and hung up. I placed my phone back onto the counter, sighing.

I walked into the bathroom to wash up. I looked into the mirror and winced. This wasn't the Brooklyn Davis I knew. I looked so..... Defeated. My once bright deep blue eyes were shattered and pain was evident in them. My carefree natural smile was gone, a weak fake smile now replacing it. My eyes had bags under them, and became more prominent against my pale, porcelain like face. My coffee brown hair fell down my frame in beachy waves.

This, this was just a broken girl. Scraps left of what my father and Blake had done to me. Blake, is my boyfriend. He was so sweet and caring in the beginning.... But then his dark side came out. He drank so much, and got high all the time. Sober, drunk, or high, he would beat me and hurt me. Physically and emotionally. Why? I have no idea. I'd been through too much. But I couldn't just give up. I had to at least pretend to be happy so that Uncle Simon wouldn't worry about me.

I washed my face and started on my makeup. I wasn't too good at makeup, and couldn't really afford the good things, but I tried to make do with what I have.I applied some concealer to cover up the bags under my eyes, and some foundation to cover up the bruise Blake had left. I put on some neutral eyeshadow, a little eyeliner and only one coat of mascara. Instead of lipgloss or lipstick, I just applied some Chapstick to my lips. I brushed through my hair and just left it down, I was way too tired to actually do anything with it.

It was the very end of summer, and almost the beginning of autumn, so it was slightly chilly outside. I slipped on black skinny jeans, with a soft blue jumper over it. Simple and comfortable pretty much summed up my style. Like I had mentioned before, my life wasn't one of much luxury so I make do with what I have.

I wasn't really pretty. No. All my life I had been told I was ugly and fat. Of course I try not to let myself believe that, but if you hear something all your life, you tend to believe it.
People must have said it for a reason. But it's not like I could do anything about it.

Finally finished, I walked down the stairs, peeking through the window.
Blake's car was gone, which meant he had left to work. Well, let's see just how amazing One Direction is.

*************************************************

A/N

Wellllll that's chapter 1!!!! Sorry if it's too long or too short. But um, in the prologue it said "6 years ago" it's actually supposed to say "11 years ago" sorry!!! This is my first fanfic so sorry if it isn't all that great. I have 0 readers right now so let's hope that changes. Comments and followers would be great! Thanks stay lovely ❤️