Chapter 50: Burden

Chapter 50 woop!  And 2 million reads and 50k votes :O TYSM!!! xxx

I haven't had time to re-read it or edit grammar and stuff so don't kill me if there are tons lol

___________________________

I wake up to find my room in complete darkness. Rubbing my eyes I shoot a glance at my alarm clock, flipping my hair over my shoulder and away from my face. It's 3:21 am. Oh.

Slightly confused I turn my head to check on Zayn, but his side of the bed is empty. I frown and try and sit completely still, listening for any sounds that would suggest he's just in the bathroom, but there's nothing. That's weird..?

I yawn, and still sort of half asleep, I get to my feet and grab the door handle to open the door into the bathroom but it's dark and empty.

Could he be up already? I look for his jeans and shirt that had been still lying on the floor next to my clothes when we went to bed, but that's gone as well. I  tiptoe downstairs, yawning again, but the lights are off everywhere and there's not a sound  to be heard.

I don't even bother checking if he's shoes are gone too, because it's evident he left. 
Without thinking further about it and before I start jumping to lame conclusions, I climb the stairs again and check my phone before going back to bed, but there are no messages. 

**

I wake up again, but this time it's 9:34 am and Zayn is fast asleep next to me, his face turned towards mine. Flustered, I rub my temples and frown.

He looks so peaceful and relaxed, lying on his side, quietly snoring.
Was he ever not here? Was it just a dream?
No it couldn't be, because his clothes have been put on my dresser, neatly folded. 

Since I wont be able to get anymore sleep, I decide to get up and take a shower downstairs so that I don't accidentally wake up Zayn.

Without making too much noise, I grab some clothes and a few cosmetics and bring them with me downstairs - since I don't really feel like looking like shit in front of Zayn, or anyone really.

As I have taken a quick shower, and have finished drying my hair and applying some minimal make-up to my face, I walk into the living room where Lucas is sitting in front of the TV. 

I start towards the kitchen to fix us some breakfast, as Zayn appears in the door opening, his eyes small but adorable and his hair sticking out in every direction before he combs his hand through it to tame the jet black locks. 
He is still only wearing his black boxers.

- "Good morning." He smiles at me and shoots a glance towards Lucas before yawning. "Can I take a shower?" Zayn asks in his slightly raspy morning voice. 

- "Sure you can take one upstairs if you want," I reply, and try and force my eyes off of his half naked lean but toned body.

- "Thanks," he mutters and I hear his feet tapping against the stairs as he slowly makes his way back upstairs to take a shower. 
I start preparing our breakfast, but I find it quite weird that he hasn't mentioned that he was gone at some point tonight. 

**

- "Thanks," Zayn grins as I place his plate in front of him. His thick black hair is still damp from the shower and falls down his forehead, his stubble are darker than yesterday and he has put on his jeans and pullover again.

I bring Lucas a plate as well, and go sit down in front of Zayn as we eat. 
- "So you've got homework you said?" he asks.
I've got tons actually.

- "Yea loads," I say, but I change the subject. "Where were you tonight?" I ask, and he frowns for a quick moment but he wipes it off his face just as quickly.  "I woke up at like 4am and you weren't there,". I add. 

- "I was out for a run," he says casually.           

Well that's not weird.
- "In the middle of the night?" I ask slightly skeptically. 

- "Yea," he says while shrugging his shoulders as he continues  eating his breakfast. 

He collects something from his pocket. 
- "Stole your key, here," he hands me the small bundle of keys with a smirk, as trying conceal that something is wrong or he's not okay.

I keep my eyes on him as we finish our breakfast, but it's hard to know what's on his mind when he doesn't exactly show emotion that often. It's like he has these barriers up, like a wall or a shield that hide all emotion, and only very rarely drop - like when he opened up to me about his father and when he told me he loves me.

He notices me looking at him, and his brown eyes quickly flicker towards me and back down again, grabbing his phone. Why is he acting so weird!?