Chapter 24: The Change

"Theresa, come on," Leslie's came behind me like a hard breeze. Causing me to whirl around at and stare at her as of she had an extra head growing out of her neck.

Her frustrated expression changed to suspicion quickly as she realized what I was doing. " Ooh, Tes! Chica didn't Michael tell you to stop smoking?"

I rolled my eyes towards the ceiling as I put the cigarette out in the trash can. " Yeah," I sighed. " Yes he did." I had been trying to break the bad habit that I had inflicted upon myself but it was so hard. How could anyone do it when their nerves are constantly played on. I hadn't been doing it for long, but it wasn't long before Michael had found out. He made me promise to stop before it got too bad.

She stepped up to me and began fixing my straightened brown brown." He's looking for you." she said softly. " Here,"She went into her purse and took out a small bottle. " Spray this in your mouth. it will take away the smell."

It was breath spray.

Mindlessly I took it from her hand and sprayed to pumps into my mouth. I looked up at her and smiled. " Can you smell anything?"

"Blow," she ordered.

I leaned forward and blew my breath in her face.

She nodded. " Yeah, you're good."

I tool my purse and put it on my shoulder and then grabbed the pack of cigarettes so that I can put them also.

Leslie snatched it from my hand. " No, you promised him you would stop. "

"Leslie..." I began whining like a five year old.

"Nope, chica." She said as she tossed them in the trash can that sat by the mirror in the dressing room we were standing in. " You don't want this to become a bad problem. Your lips are going to get darker and you will start smelling like smoke twenty for seven and then you might end up having lung cancer. Not to mention you will start looking like a slob and Michael would not be attracted to you any more."

I gave her a look that said, 'Really, Leslie, really?' " Don't you think you might just be over exaggerating just a little bit?" I asked as I held up my hand showing her how much.

She  laughed. " Yeah, maybe a little. That man loves you too much." She turned And placed her arm around my shoulder. It was almost as if she was hanging off of me, being that she was so much shorter than I was. "Speaking of which, he still looking for you."

I nodded and we began walking out of the room. turning towards the hallway of the hotel room. Karen was putting things away in her bag when she looked up and saw me. She stood up straight and placed her hands on her hips. " Now don't you look pretty!"

I looked down at my fitted white dress and heels and smiled. " Thanks." I said softly as pulled a piece of my hair back into place.

"She looks more than just pretty. She's beautiful." I heard Michael say from the side of me.  I turned my head to see him walking towards me with a huge smile on his face. He had on a white beaded  military jacket. That was opened and showed off some of his skin. He looked sexy with his hair down at his shoulders. He pulled me close to him and kissed me on my forehead.

"Okay, okay." Leslie came in from the other room handing me my off white purse. " You're going to be late. Save all the intimacy for later tonight!" she shoved my purse into my hands.

"Is the car ready?" Michael asked as he took my hand and lead me towards the door.

"Yes, it was ready ten minutes ago." She answered.

"Okay, okay. Come on Terri." He mumbled. His mood seemed to have changed from excited to suspicious as he pulled me out the door.

It was the night if the Grammy's and it was very important that Michael and I were there. Michael was going to receive the Grammy Legend Award. This night was very important to him so I promised that I would be there for him. I knew that he needed me there as his date.